Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys I have a serious delima I need some assistance on.

Three weeks ago My wife and I bought a brand new Chevy Trail Blazer. It had a problem with a seal on the back hatch door, and she took it to be replaced today. When she picked it up it had a 6 inch scratch on the drivers side door right through the paint to the primer.

They said they would repaint the door. This concerns me alot. I am not crazy about having a 30,000 dallar vehicle with 800 miles on it be repainted in any form of fashion. I just know all of the problems with initial matching, paint aging, and heaven forbid catostrophic failure down the road. It just does not seem fair that i have to take the shaft on a brand new vehicle. The only other thing I can think of is a replacement door.

I need to know if anyone knows if factory painted new doors are available from chevrolet.

If not, I need to know if anyone knows the exact process chevrolet uses on the new vehicles and also the type of paint. If I do let them repaint the door, I want to know that I am getting a product that will last as long and fade at the same rate as the original paint so down the road it does not look different.

If you guys think I am being too anal here please let me know. I am just so afraid if I let them paint the door I will not be satisfied or could have problems down the road.

Let me know your opinions on what I should do, please. Any input is appreciated. I have to go down and talk to them tomorrow and I would like to know what my options are and what I should expect so I dont get the shaft(like I have already)

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of my main concerns is also with the fact that they will be adding a second paintjob to that door. We all know that as paint get thicker it is more prone to chip. I just want the thing to be like new....since the rest of the damned car is. I have heard it is somewhat more tricky getting good adhesion to the factory baked paint. I know that they will probably just mask the inside and repaint the outside. The remaining seam seems like a good place for the paint to chip or start to peel in the future. I have seen several repaints on new vehicles where the paint starts to come loose at the mask line after a couple of years. Maybe I could demand some kind of warranty on the work for the life of the existing paint job. I just dont know.

I just hate this crap. It is actually my wifes car, and her first brand new one. I had to listen to her crying on the phone tonight on my drive back to Texas because she is so upset and afraid it will not be exactly right. I share her concerns.

Chris

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, turns out when I get home to actually see the problem I have been told about the guys and my wife did not really know what they were looking at. Should have known, the scratch did not pentrate the clear coat and was buffed out in a matter of minutes.

Sorry for the distress call. I was working off on bad information and was much calmer when I saw it for myself.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Chris

1 - 3 of 2 Posts