Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am purchasing a cam and lifter kit for my father for Christmas. He has a 1962 283 in his 1957 chevy. Set up is Edelbrock carb, edelbrock peformer intake, stock ignition, stock exhaust, turbo 350 trans. with stock stall, and stock rear end. I want to get him a good cam with a good "thump." Any suggestions? I put a Thumper cam in my 351W and both he and I love it but I think that is too much for his stock application.
I appreciate any help :thumbup:

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
I am purchasing a cam and lifter kit for my father for Christmas. He has a 1962 283 in his 1957 chevy. Set up is Edelbrock carb, edelbrock peformer intake, stock ignition, stock exhaust, turbo 350 trans. with stock stall, and stock rear end. I want to get him a good cam with a good "thump." Any suggestions? I put a Thumper cam in my 351W and both he and I love it but I think that is too much for his stock application.
I appreciate any help :thumbup:
OK, here's my take on it. The current cruiser setup tells me that Pop doesn't care too much for acceleration and speed, but might like for the motor to have a little rump-rump to it. I see nothing wrong with installing the smallest Thumpr cam and kit. It will work best with gears and converter, but I'm thinkin' it would be fine for cruising with the current setup.
12-600-4 - Thumpr

For ignition, put 16 in at the crank and 20 in at the weights, all in at 36 degrees by 2,800 r's. This should allow you to bring the idle down and prevent stoplight creep or standin' on the brake pedal. Use a Crane adjustable vacuum advance can and limiter plate....
Crane Vacuum Advance Kits 99600-1 - SummitRacing.com
Crane Vacuum Timing Limiter Plates 99619-1 - SummitRacing.com

Pay attention to these tips and tricks to prevent roachin' the new cam and lifters....
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Camshaft_install_tips_and_tricks

·
Registered
282 Posts
Seems like a remember reading a magazine one time that said with a stock converter .480 lift is the max you should go. Dont know if thats true but the cam techinspector1 said I think would be a good choice but a gift card works to so he could choose.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good points. On second thoughts, he does have an MSD ignition box sitting around without the distributor (he had one and sold it before he had a friend give him the ignition box). Maybe a new MSD distributor would be best? Choices, choices, choices......

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
This would be a nice camshaft for your father's 57 Chevy. Comp Cams Nostalgia Plus N+300HP. Cam and lifter kit CL12-670-4 or the K-Kit K12-670-4 which consist of Cam, lifters, valve springs, retainers & locks, and timing chain. The specs: rpm range-1000-5500, .426/.420 lift, 211/218 duration, LSA 112 IC 108*

·
Registered
282 Posts
I think you should go the route that someone else said and get him a gift card to jegs or summit.. Cam selection is one area where your dad can put his personal signature on the engine. Unfortunately one of the most common mistakes is to put in to much cam. The temptation to seek more power is a strong one, but if the airflow path through the engine isnt suited to higher capacities, increasing the valve lift and duration wont produce more torque or power, In fact its likely to reduce combustion efficiency, power output, and economy. It is actually better to be conservative when it comes to cam selection. In my opinion I would let your dad decide whats best for his engine as he probably know the true details of his engine. Hope everything works out good. Keep us posted on what you do and what cam you all get. Good luck and Happy shopping

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.