Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my SBC 350 rebored, decked and chemically cleaned. The guys also removed the old cam bearings. I've got the new ones but I'm unsure of a correct method to install them. From what I understand they are also different sizes.

Can anyone please help me here?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
they should have done that while at the machine shop.they have a special tool for it.call them up and tell them you didn't get the cam bearings installed in your block and they'll have you bring your block and bearings back.might cost you about $20.00 but maybe not if they forgot aboutit.

·
Registered
601 Posts
For one installation, it's not worth the cost of the tool, can't you have the machine shop install them! Beat me too it! LOL

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, 2 things: 1. I didn't really know I'd require a special tool for it and 2. The guy didn't ask me if I wanted to have the new ones installed.

The hassle is that the shop is quite a bit out of my way and it's a bit difficult to get the time to go around there. I guess I'll look for another shop close by that can help. Must say that I feel a bit irritated about it now.

Thanks for the reply guys.

·
Administrator
18,472 Posts
I made a tool out of an old cam journal, a large washer and a piece of threaded rod. Worked for me....................

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
poncho62 said:
I made a tool out of an old cam journal, a large washer and a piece of threaded rod. Worked for me....................
PLEASE tell me how?

·
Administrator
18,472 Posts

the washer is slightly larger than the journal. Slide the cam bearing onto the journal and hammer it in....gently.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,089 Posts
not that it helps you at this point but most shops would at least ask about the cam bearings, which leads to the question of oil galley plugs. Did the machine shop install those or leave those out too. Specifically I'm referring to the oil plug located under the rear main cap. Bad things happen if it's left out.

·
King of my Man-cave.
2,896 Posts
Aw, c'mon you bums! Just take to machine shop and have it done RIGHT!:spank:

tom

BTW, we charge 5 bucks a bearing to install cam bearings.

Poncho, I hope you have a way of keeping the mandrel straight, like some sort of cone or similar device.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
cam bearings

I am with tom, Just have the shop put them in. It' s a one time $20.00/$25.00 deal and you know they are right. There is actually a little more to it then just beating them in. The oil hole need placed at the proper location to get the proper oil wedge on the journals, Plus i always trial fit a cam to make sure that the bearings are the correct size. If you plan on building more motors and want to do this your self then invest the money to buy the correct tool.....

Keith

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, to be honest I do actually think I'll rather take it in due to time. I want to start assembling the motor this weekend so I think I'm gonna stay at home tomorrow and "quickly" take it in. I was wondering about how one would keep the home made tool straight. I just don't feel like the 45 minute drive to the shop. But I suppose rather spend that time and have it done "professionally" than spending more time later redoing it if I stuff it up.

·
Administrator
18,472 Posts
machine shop tom said:
Poncho, I hope you have a way of keeping the mandrel straight, like some sort of cone or similar device.
Put in a couple of sets that way, never had a problem with them.....I guess I have a pretty accurate eye.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
I got a SBC-specific tool from either Competition Products or Speedway Motors for ~$30. It has one mandrel and a conical alignment device. It knocks them out great, but I have not tried to install anything yet. Might have to invent a new word or two when that happens.:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
SBC Cam Bearing Placement

Tom,
I just picked up my 86 s :pain: hort block with crank allready installed, the builder stated on the phone one cam bearing was placed in backwards and it would only take a couple on minutes to switch it arround. I'm home now with my short block in Florida and I can't reach the builder to ask if he did switch the cam bearing, How can I determine correct cam bearing placement? I can't seem to find definative pictures of clear info on the correct placement of the cam bearings.
Please respond if you can enlighten me with an appropriate answer.
Paul Suburban Murray

machine shop tom said:
Aw, c'mon you bums! Just take to machine shop and have it done RIGHT!:spank:

tom

BTW, we charge 5 bucks a bearing to install cam bearings.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I went through this same thing a few months ago. I'm hard headed, and was determined to do it myself. I now own a Matco cam bearing installation tool (at a cost of approx $225.00) which I may never use again. I also destroyed the first set of bearings due to lack of information. (and proper tools)
Basically, there are 3 different bearings and they must be installed with the oil hole oriented correctly, and they must be put in the correct depth to insure the oil hole is lined up with the groove. The rear bearing goes in further than you would think, and I had to re-do it which cost me another cam plug.
All in all, it was a good, learning experience, but I don't know what I'll ever do with the tool. I guess my son might use it someday.
If I had it to do over, I would have paid someone to install them...
JA
PS: Do a search for cam bearing installation and you'll find the thread I started.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Look on your cam bearing box. Each bearing has a number on it and on the box should be the position for each. That's the way it is with Federal Mogul.

If you don't have the expierience or a quality tool...do yourself a favor and have it done. It is critical that these are installed correctly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts