Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys quick question. During cam break in I had a few things to fix during the break in period. So my question is, does each 5 minutes of run time go toward the overall 20 min needed to break in the cam or do you need 20 min straight.

John

·
JS-70
1,306 Posts
20 minutes straight is better, thats why we say make sure everything is right. But 20 minutes total works too. Change oil and filter while oil is hot. Stay with an oil with zinc if you have a flat tappet cam.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Richiehd said:
20 minutes straight is better, thats why we say make sure everything is right. But 20 minutes total works too. Change oil and filter while oil is hot. Stay with an oil with zinc if you have a flat tappet cam.
Thank you for the quick answer. Do you do a oil change before seating the rings :smash:

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I try not to idle the engine at all during break in, but I have stopped them several times if needed. Best is 20 min. uninterrupted, but that's not possible if things go wrong. I haven't had issues by stopping either.
I change oil after the break in and a test/tune drive, then again at around 500 miles.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1971BB427 said:
I try not to idle the engine at all during break in, but I have stopped them several times if needed. Best is 20 min. uninterrupted, but that's not possible if things go wrong. I haven't had issues by stopping either.
I change oil after the break in and a test/tune drive, then again at around 500 miles.

thank you for the info.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
johntm said:
thank you for the info.
I would add more break in lubricant to the motor oil after the first oil and filter change, same as when the cam was first broken in. Using ZDDPlus, etc. or oil that contains sufficient additives for flat tappet cam break in will do fine. You don't need too much additives, either- just the recommended amounts. This may not be absolutely necessary but I consider it cheap insurance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cobalt327 said:
I would add more break in lubricant to the motor oil after the first oil and filter change, same as when the cam was first broken in. Using ZDDPlus, etc. or oil that contains sufficient additives for flat tappet cam break in will do fine. You don't need too much additives, either- just the recommended amounts. This may not be absolutely necessary but I consider it cheap insurance.
I have no problem doing that. What is your thought, it still needs more break in?

John

·
Registered
663 Posts
cam break in

if you used a moly cam lube when asembling engine i would not change oil as you will drain out importent lube for cam survival.if engine cleaned properly no need to chang oil until at least 1000 plus miles. if you did a road side repair in a dusty windy daymay best chang oil.by the pictures that is not the case

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
cliff tate said:
if you used a moly cam lube when asembling engine i would not change oil as you will drain out importent lube for cam survival.if engine cleaned properly no need to chang oil until at least 1000 plus miles. if you did a road side repair in a dusty windy daymay best chang oil.by the pictures that is not the case
I always change it after break in, and then add more cam lube to the next oil change. When I've looked at oil after a cam break in it sparkles from the small metallic particles, and I don't want those in there any longer after the break in.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.