Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been lurking for a while. Building a 37 ratrod pickup (under 3000lbs) time to finish building my sbc 350. my first build
virgin block std bore still. 80-85 passenger car block 2 bolt main.
measured the deck height today .025. with trw 464664 flat top pistons
stock vortec heads 062 stock springs and 1.5 rockers.
jegs 555-200003 cam
Intake Exhaust
Advertised Duration 272° 282°
Duration @ .050" 214° 224°
Valve Lift w/ 1.5 Rocker Arms 0.442 0.465
Valve Lift @ Cam 0.295 0.310
Max Lift Angle 107° 117°
Lobe Separation 112°
Cam Timing @ .050" - Opens 0° ATDC 49° BBDC
Cam Timing @ .050" - Closes 34° ABDC -5° BTDC
edlebrock 2716 intake with edlebrock 1406 carb
700r4 out of a pickup. thinking about using the stock stall converter??
short headers 1 5/8s
hoping to make 350 hp

my question i have a zoom double chain. first i have heard some bad things about these? i only plan on 5000 miles a year on this. not expecting 100000 miles out this engine. but should i buy a better chain and gears? also it has the three keyways should i go 4 deg ahead? i am in canada so parts seem to cost about %30 more as soon as it comes across the boarder. will this cam chain be ok?

I also need head gaskets. would GM 10105117 composition gasket give me a good squish (.025 + compressed they are .028 = .053? )

like i said this is my first build so i am open to advice.

thanks
matt

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
I have sold hundreds of the Zoom double roller sets. A very good setup for a mild street engine.

If the decks are good and the heads are straight. I would go for a steel shim head gasket in this situation. Much better quench area. Shoot for .040" total. Gasket and piston height.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
Your best shot....and the one that a tech at the cam grinder would probaly suggest also, is to install the cam straight up. You have no history of how the motor will perform with the cam yet, so you cannot decide ahead of time whether to tailor it for additional low end by advancing it or additional top end by retarding it from straight up. Most cams are ground 4-5 degrees advanced at the cam grinder, so consider that also.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
The following is from the 2013 Chevrolet Performance catalog....

10105117 composition head Gasket
• Composition head gasket with stainless steel fire ring
• For stock or mildly modified engines with 4.000" cylinder bores
• Fits cast-iron or aluminum heads
• Used on Ram Jet 350
• 0.028" compressed thickness

3830711 steel shim head Gasket
• For stock and mildly modified engines with 4.000" cylinder bores
• 0.026" compressed thickness

12557236 composition head Gasket
• Stainless steel fire rings
• Fits aluminum or cast-iron heads
• Used on ZZ4 and 350 HO engines
• 0.051" compressed thickness

10185054 heavy-Duty composition head Gasket
• Teflon-coated
• Pre-flattened wire O-rings around each cylinder
• For competition engines with cylinder bores of 4.000" to 4.125"
• 0.041" compressed thickness
NOTE: Drill steam holes when used on 400-ci Small-Blocks. Gasket

·
Of course it's fast
2,670 Posts
I'm running the zoom double roller too. I think it's great. I didn't even change it when i rebuilt the motor. 60k and it looked like it had maybe 3k on it! The double chains seem to resist stretching a lot better than the singles.
Just out of curiosity, anyone know who makes the gaskets in the Jegs gasket sets? They are super cheap but it's all working perfectly for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
with this shim
3830711 steel shim head Gasket
• For stock and mildly modified engines with 4.000" cylinder bores
• 0.026" compressed thickness
this would make my squish .051 is that gonna make a big difference between that and a .040 squish?

just another quick question how come some gaskets have a bigger bore but still list for say a 350. even if you bored it out .060 the bore would be 4.060 right? for a 350. for example many are 4.19 or 4.10. Is it just so they can be used on all the sbc?
Thanks guys you have been very helpful!

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
I think what Bob was suggesting was to use the Fel-Pro 0.015" steel shim gasket and I agree with him. I showed you the list of CP gaskets just to show that there is no really thin shim gasket being offered from GM.

If you want to know why a manufacturer does this or that, just follow the money trail. They will do whatever will make the most profit for the stockholders, so if they can double up on punching the bore holes and save a little, that is what they will do. In other words, if they can use the same punch to make Chevy, Pontiac and Packard gaskets, without having to invest in another punch size, that's what they'll do. I have no idea what the real reason is or how gaskets are actually made on the production line, but the money thing works for me.

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
I think what Bob was suggesting was to use the Fel-Pro 0.015" steel shim gasket and I agree with him. I showed you the list of CP gaskets just to show that there is no really thin shim gasket being offered from GM.

If you want to know why a manufacturer does this or that, just follow the money trail. They will do whatever will make the most profit for the stockholders, so if they can double up on punching the bore holes and save a little, that is what they will do. In other words, if they can use the same punch to make Chevy, Pontiac and Packard gaskets, without having to invest in another punch size, that's what they'll do. I have no idea what the real reason is or how gaskets are actually made on the production line, but the money thing works for me.
Exactly..

I haven't seen a GM part no. on a shim gasket in years..

GM buys their gaskets from outside sources. Years ago, at auction, I bought several skids of various Fitzgerald head gaskets, all shim. Fitzgerald was an OEM supplier to GM back in the fifties and sixties.

Still have some of the BBC's

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Here are a couple shim type gaskets, there are others as well. I'd recommend a rubber coated version. Shim head gaskets like a nice flat surface...

FWIW I have a Zoom timing set on my daily driver, no probs and have about 40K miles on it. Have another one in stock waiting for a home, I wouldn't hesitate to use it on my next engine (it's a pre-roller cam timing set, though so it might be here for a while).

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.