Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Chasing dreams with a ball bat
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Got a quick question: I changed the cam in my 355 sbc, and now it's time to put her back together again.

Is there a way to seal up the timing cover without dropping the pan at all? I have a aluminum timing cover and Moroso oil pan and I think it takes the thick gasket.

ANy tips or pointers would be appreciated. Don't want to have pesky oil leaks.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
you need to move the pan if only a little. Most guys just loosen the pan bolts and let it sag a little, you only need a 1/4 inch or so. Get your timing cover sealed up nice, then put your pan up against it and torque everything twice, you should be fine!

K

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
Another tip to the above is to trim the sharp corner edges of the timing cover lip that slips into the front of the pan. This is also a lot simpler if you have a one-piece pan gasket.

·
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The motor is in a 48 F1 pickup and it's not real easy to drop the pan at all. Crossmember is a pain. No way to get around it? :mad:

Cheat?

Something?

·
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that's what I'm talking about.

thanks!

What if I reuse the compressed rubber gasket and apply a little silicone to it? Probably better off using the new one?

I don't have any friends to help me.

J/K - my neighbor is always willing to lend a hand. Maybe even my wife if I'm nice and promise "things" to her.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts