Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am a new member. I have a 440 chrysler I am putting together. My question is about cam selection. The motor is running TRW forged true flat top pistons. Aftermarket rods and crank. The heads are closed chamber 915 castings that have had a mild port and polish done on them. they have Manley stainless valves of stock size. The block is bored .030. It is going in a truck that is going to be flat dragged. I will drive this truck only on the weekend. This combination also should have 10.3 :1 compression.
I want to run a radical cam that will be good to flat drag and can be ran on the street. I am also looking at a solid lift cam since I have adjustable rockers. Any help would be appeciated.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
My Bro ran a setup like that years back, but he had a 4 speed. He used the Purple cam by Chrysler. I think it was the 501 lift? I think they make a 480 lift which might be better for automatics. Hg

·
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net
1,742 Posts
I would recommend the comp cams XS282S (244 252 @.050 .520 .540 lift 2500-6500 RPM range) Recommended minimum compression is 10:1 so that is perfect. I would run a 3500 stall with this since it is only a weekend cruiser. This cam should make really good power.

Adam

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
1,642 Posts
Danny, I would probably choose a camshaft from Hughes engines. They specialize in Chryslers.

Chryslers have a larger lifter diameter than a Chevrolet or a Ford, so if you want to use a lobe that is designed to be used with the larger lifter diameter. The result is a more intense profile offering faster valve action

Comp Cams, Crane, etc use Chevrolet style lobes on the Chrysler cams they grind which kind of defeats the purpose of having a larger lifter diameter.

HTL 3742 BS INT .534"
EXH .543" INT .569"
EXH .579" 237°
242° 109° 12.5° BTC
53° BBC 44.5° ABC
9° ATC

This is one of their solid profiles that caught my eye for your 440.

HERE is the link to their website.

Brian

·
Registered
44 Posts
Every cam manufacturer has a tech line that will help you chose the right cam for your combo. Be prepared to answer some questions about your vehicle. Gear ratio, vehicle weight, torque converter, carb, exhaust etc...

Another Mopar only cam grinder is Straightline Performance Give 'em a call, they have a reputation of excellent customer service.

·
Registered
149 Posts
i would go with comp. cause you ported and polished it and know it flows alot better than the purple shaft are designed for.
so you should get a single pattern cam.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts