Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I know people ask a lot about cam choice on here, but now its my turn.

Here is my complete setup.

1980 Monte carlo, 3.73 posi rear
200r4 transmission (no lockup) converter is one up from stock

355 sbc 010 block, Hyper dished pistons (9:1 compression)
492 heads with 2.02 / 1.60 valves, screw in studs and guide plates
performer 2101 intake 1/2" spacer
demon 650 vac secondary carb and HEI dist
Hooker Competion Headers and 2.5" exhaust

OK there is a HUGE 500 lift cam in the motor now and makes like no vacuum to run my power brakes. It's way over cammed.

The car will be used 95% for street driving, maybe see the 1/4 mile 1 time a year.

Looking for a cam that will work with this combo, I am NOT taking the heads off since there is 4800 miles on the full rebuild.. It does run great.

I was thinking the Comp 268, .454 / .454 lift cam ??
I am not going to lie, I would like a little rumpty rump idle.

Anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks so much in advance.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
I would use the 268 as it will make life easier on you with accessories such as A/C and especially since your using a OD trans. The .224 cam would work also, and it would provide the vacuum you need to run the accessories, but when your cruising at 55 mph in OD it will likely be below the cam's RPM band which will put the engine in a lug and you don't want that.
The 268 cam will work nicely with the given accessories and it's power band is low enough to safely use the OD transmission without lugging the engine.
I'm not sure what valve springs you used, but it's important they match the cam. If you used valve springs that match the current cam you have in the car they'll be too stiff for the smaller cam and will likely wipe it out. However if your using springs that work in a given lift range as many springs are, then you should be okay. Make sure you use a Zinc additive on the new cam break in and from that point on and you're golden.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I agree the XE268H is a good street cam. It is the largest cam for stock converters. 1600-5800 operating range. .447/.480 lift and 224/230 duration at .050. On the dyno sim it produces 356hp @ 5500 and 402 lbs. of torque @ 4000 rpms. If not sure call Comp Cams at 1-800-999-0853. You could always keep what you got and run a vacuum canister. How do you have your timing set? Initial___ mechanical___ and total___. Try hooking a vacuum gauge up and adjust the initial up to see how much the vacuum increases. Try about 16-20 initial to start and more if it does not ping.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree the XE268H is a good street cam. It is the largest cam for stock converters. 1600-5800 operating range. .447/.480 lift and 224/230 duration at .050. On the dyno sim it produces 356hp @ 5500 and 402 lbs. of torque @ 4000 rpms. If not sure call Comp Cams at 1-800-999-0853. You could always keep what you got and run a vacuum canister. How do you have your timing set? Initial___ mechanical___ and total___. Try hooking a vacuum gauge up and adjust the initial up to see how much the vacuum increases. Try about 16-20 initial to start and more if it does not ping.

thanks for the info, did it make them numbers with my combo? Thanks again.

·
Registered
454 Posts
To avoid any confusion the 268H cam Jason mentioned with .454/.454 lift is the High Energy HE268H with 218/218 at .050 duration, the cam mentioned by cdminter is the Extreme Energy EX268H with 224/230 @ .050,

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes looking at the .454 lift one. I dont want a huge stall with a huge cam. This is a street car, drive it to work, and take the family for a sunday ride.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks

Thanks for all the replys. I was going to build a 400 that I had and 2 local machine shops told me to stay clear of the. Voodoo and thumpr cams.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I would avoid voodoo and xtreme series cams. The lift rates are very aggressive and therefore have a much higher rate of going flat. They also tend to make more valve train noise.

The high energy cams make a little less power but are also much easier on the valve train which is a good thing with todays emissions motor oils (less antiwear additives).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks

Thanks for all the help. I just ordered the Comp Cams 268 HE .454 lift. I think this will keep me right in my powerband and run all my power accesories with no problem. I can always use my 1.6 rockers if I feel I want to, but I think the .454 lift will be plenty with the 492 heads !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.