Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
OFMF
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to upgrade the cam and intake on a 350 SBC. I was hoping some folks could help guide me in the right direction. Here's the details:

It's a 350 in a 70 Monte Carlo with a turbo 350 auto - trans is built with B&M parts and shift kit - stock torque converter. Motor has 37k on it. I am looking for an upgrade from stock - nothing too radical as I want to retain daily driveability. Just want to give it a little more "hot rod" and a little less stock. Any suggestions - ideas is greatly appreciated. TIA

Pat

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
If you go w/a cam and intake/carb and not heads, you can still get good performance providing your engine is in good shape to begin with. But if your engine is tired, these parts will only hasten its demise. You have to have a strong foundation to build on, if not, you'll be disappointed.

You didn't say if you have a Q-Jet or a 2-bbl. If it's a Q-Jet, I would keep it and swap out the intake (I would use an RPM, but not the "Air Gap"- just the standard RPM) along w/a cam yet to be determined- hopefully other members will add their thoughts as to what a good cam would be.

Another option would be to go w/Vortec heads and an Edelbrock Vortec RPM intake. This is worth 50 HP over your stock heads, I've read. That, w/a cam could get you an increase of 100 HP fairly easily. You'll need headers and dual exhaust, as well- but you need that regardless of what heads you use- be it stock, Vortec or whatever.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I had good luck with the Comp 262XE. Enough cam to tell isn't stock but not lumpy. I also got great miliage with it. 22mpg in a 73 malibu with 2.73 rear end. I also had edel performer intake and 600cfm carb.

·
OFMF
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had read in some other sites that the 262 extreme energy was a good cam and that the Edlebrock performer was the right intake. I do have a Q-jet and it is fresh. The motor only has 37k on it so I'm thinking it is in pretty good shape. It runs great now - just wanted to "update" it a little. I have it out of the car right now to put new crank seal, pan gasket, etc. It leaks like crazy. It's been sitting for about 12 years so the seals and gaskets are like concrete. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.