Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the site. I am looking for a cam and rocker recommendation for my 1955 Chevy 4 door driver. What I have thought about is a "Mild" cam, whatever that means technically. I want to run on pump gas and go to shows, no racing.

I have a sbc 400, dish pistons, stock rods, Vortec heads, Edelbrock performer intake, Holley 600 cfm carb,

Thanks from the newbie.

Texasinmi

·
Proud LOSER
2,185 Posts
I am new to the site. I am looking for a cam and rocker recommendation for my 1955 Chevy 4 door driver. What I have thought about is a "Mild" cam, whatever that means technically. I want to run on pump gas and go to shows, no racing.

I have a sbc 400, dish pistons, stock rods, Vortec heads, Edelbrock performer intake, Holley 600 cfm carb,

Thanks from the newbie.

Texasinmi
Not really enough info to make an educated choice, that being said...
If we make some assumptions
22cc dish piston
Stock 0.025 deck height
Standard 0.040 head gasket (I would like to see a shorter 0.020 gasket for 9.5:1 and better quench)
64cc chambers
We have a shade over 9.1:1 comp
Heavy car, likely a highway gear.
If staying hyd flat tappet I like the comp xe262 in this case
218/224 @.050
462/469
110LSA
If budget allows (even if it doesn't it really should)
Then this for a Retro roller set up
Howard's PN# CL111145-10
219/225 @.050
510/525 (make sure heads are OK at this lift)
110LSA
And that's my uneducated opinion.

Dave

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
above cams sound like a good starting point for discussion.What cam is in the engine now? Why are you changing just the cam? what about the carb?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. Your guesses about my motor are correct. I will check out the xe262. The Howard is a little out of my budget.

I have thought about changing the carb, but people tell me that you can use the following to claculate the cfm for your motor: 2X400c.i.X.85=680cfm. They say it is better to be a little under the cfm than over. What would your thoughts be on the carb situation for my application?

Texasinmi

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
Xe262 cam is likely a decent match. Be very thorough when installing a new cam. For a carb a cheap reliable standby is the 1406 Edelbrock, however I really like the newer street demon 625 for a street carb. I've had holleys and they can run fine but they are the biggest pain the the *** to get dialed in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have had three different Edelbrocks and they were all a p.o.s. Could not keep them tuned, poor performance...

Never a problem with a Holley.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
I have had three different Edelbrocks and they were all a p.o.s. Could not keep them tuned, poor performance...

Never a problem with a Holley.
Edelbrocks are universally accepted as the easiest to tune, and they are. I suspect if you have irregular issues you probably had gunk in it- the booster cluster tends to clog up (smallest passages) and getting it spotless can be a tedious effort.

HOWEVER changing jets or PVCR's (some self proclaimed holley tuners don't even know what that is) is always a problem as you have to take the fuel bowl and metering plate off.

Both the street demon and the edelbrock can be tuned without 1 drop of fuel leaving the carb.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
If your engine needs "680" cfm why put on a smaller carb? If you put a 750 cfm carb on it then there is another 70 cfm in the closet if you ever need it,,,Not many engines(V-8s) need a smaller carb than a 750. I saw a Mazda 1.3 liter 13-b rotary with an 850 double pumper. Some consider the 1.3 rotary to be the same size as a 3.9 liter piston engine,,,

I used a 750 double pumper on my 283 powered Chevy II when I was in high school

1 - 8 of 8 Posts