Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys um i am a little confused about how to choose the right cam for me.
i am building a 350 bored 30 over running 72 cc 882 heads with 1.94 and 1.50 int/exh and a performer intake with a holley 650 and the stock crank/rods. the pistons and head gasgets are from a summit rebuild kit
so if u guys could give me some info on cam selection and other tips u guys could give me thanks

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-SBCKIT1-300/

that link is for the pistons if it helps and it is going in a 83 monte carlo ss with a th 350 and a 10 bolt rear with a limited slip with 3.73 gears :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
well it really depends on wat u want... is this car more street driven or drag or both... wat else is done to the heads how much lift can the springs handle, single, double, or tripple springs?? wat ur compression ratio gonna be, i think its about 9.1 or 9.3, but if u milled the head or block that gonna go up, ur probably gonna have to run on premium fuel. how many rpms do u wanna spin, if its a 4-bolt i wouldn't take it over 6500 and that a lttle high.. wat cam do u want hydraulic, solid, roller.. just trying to get mote of what u want, cant really pick i good cam with out this info. Also if u go on comp cams website they have a thing u can download for free and it help u you choose the correct cam, its called Cam Quest 6. Give it a try i did and it helped get me on track. If you dont like comp cams for some reason, get the specs and find another cam of your likeing. I peferr comp cams though good quality. If you gett me some more info. i'll help u out. mark.

·
Registered
69 Posts
yea there is.. yea give that cam quest a try its pretty good... yea u dont want the wrong cam for your application, cause then your motor wont run the way u want to, also you cant go to big cause you have to make sure your valve springs can handle it ( lift of cam and when they will float at). Remember the cam, carb. and heads make the motor is ones off it wont run the best, of course you want your bottom end there and all, but its not a big block, small blocks get most of there power from the heads up. Mark.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.