Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading a buncha different threads on error code p0340, related to cam position sensor. It seems like a common solution is to change out the alternator. What does the alternator have to do with the cam position sensor?

it does seem like my alternator is squirly, cause my head lights and dash lights flicker sometimes when I drive, started happening last night. My battery shat out the other day, I replaced it, and after roughly 100-120 miles the lights issue came up. Im assuming it has to do with the alternator. Also p0340 code came back and related symptoms like loss of power and bad starting.

Would a new alternator fix both issues? If so, how does it relate to the cam position sensor?

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
A bad alternator will leak A.C. voltage onto the main supply voltage and can confuse the computer into thinking a signal is abnormal. Have the alternator tested or with a good VOM check for ac voltage at the battery. It doesnt take much,.5 volts is enough to cause issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.