Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1968 Camaro with the following set up....

GM ZZ454 Crate motor
Summit Racing Ignition
Tremek TKX 5 speed
Moser 9 inch track lock with 370 gears

The tranny and the rear end are brand new....still in the break in period, so I really don't know what the performance is like yet (certainly a world of difference from an old M20 and a stock 10 bolt open diff with 355s). The motor will be out of warranty soon, so of course a bigger cam for this motor will happen sooner rather than later. Out of the box the ZZ produces 469 HP w/513 ft lbs of torque (or thereabouts). I still want it to be streetable, but I feel I can get a lot more power out of this set up.....GM went pretty mild with the stock cam.

I would appreciate some feedback on a good cam that will work well with what I have. I am certainly not a cam expert (I suppose If I was there would be no need for this post!). Thank you in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
ZZ454/440 TECH SPECS:
  • Engine Type: Chevy Big-Block V-8
  • Displacement: 454ci
  • Bore x Stroke: 4.250'' x 4.000''
  • Block: Cast-iron with four-bolt main caps
  • Crankshaft: Forged steel
  • Connecting Rods: Forged steel
  • Pistons: Forged aluminum
  • Camshaft Type: Hydraulic roller
  • Camshaft Lift: .510'' intake / .540'' exhaust
  • Camshaft Duration (@.050 in.): 211° intake / 230° exhaust
  • Cylinder Heads: Aluminum oval port, 110cc combustion chambers
  • Valve Size: 2.190'' intake / 1.880'' exhaust
  • Compression Ratio: 9.6:1
  • Rocker Arms: Stamped steel
  • Rocker Arm Ratio: 1.7:1
  • Water Pump: Cast-iron, long-style
  • Flexplate: 14'' diameter
  • Recommended Fuel: Premium pump (92 octane)
  • Ignition Timing: 36° Total @ 4000 rpm
  • Maximum Recommended RPM: 5500
  • Balanced: External

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ZZ454/440 TECH SPECS:
  • Engine Type: Chevy Big-Block V-8
  • Displacement: 454ci
  • Bore x Stroke: 4.250'' x 4.000''
  • Block: Cast-iron with four-bolt main caps
  • Crankshaft: Forged steel
  • Connecting Rods: Forged steel
  • Pistons: Forged aluminum
  • Camshaft Type: Hydraulic roller
  • Camshaft Lift: .510'' intake / .540'' exhaust
  • Camshaft Duration (@.050 in.): 211° intake / 230° exhaust
  • Cylinder Heads: Aluminum oval port, 110cc combustion chambers
  • Valve Size: 2.190'' intake / 1.880'' exhaust
  • Compression Ratio: 9.6:1
  • Rocker Arms: Stamped steel
  • Rocker Arm Ratio: 1.7:1
  • Water Pump: Cast-iron, long-style
  • Flexplate: 14'' diameter
  • Recommended Fuel: Premium pump (92 octane)
  • Ignition Timing: 36° Total @ 4000 rpm
  • Maximum Recommended RPM: 5500
  • Balanced: External
Thanks! That helps 👍

·
More for Less Racer
20,945 Posts
Have a professional just spec you a cam based around just your application....this guy is among the best, and the online recommendation form is free. He can custom grind the cam and supply it.
Jones Cams

He is around on a lot engine building and hot rod forum boards, under the handle "CamKing",

That way it matches your desired behavior, type of usage, vehicle weight, gearing, auto or manual trans and converter stall speed, max you are willing to rpm the engine, etc.

Bullet Cams is another good choice.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have a professional just spec you a cam based around just your application....this guy is among the best, and the online recommendation form is free. He can custom grind the cam and supply it.
Jones Cams

He is around on a lot engine building and hot rod forum boards, under the handle "CamKing",

That way it matches your desired behavior, type of usage, vehicle weight, gearing, auto or manual trans and converter stall speed, max you are willing to rpm the engine, etc.

Bullet Cams is another good choice.

·
Registered
995 Posts
You say, "Out of the box the ZZ produces 469 HP w/513 ft lbs of torque". That's killer power and torque. Those are Yenco Camaro numbers now. In a '68 Camaro you can't hook up the power you have now on the street. Why mess with it?? If it presently has good street manners leave it alone. Sure you can get more out of it but it will be in the high RPM area requiring crazy rear end gearing. Why??? You'll end up making the car insane, less drivable, and find you'll be driving it less and less over time after adding a wild cam. Sounds like you have a great runner now. Leave it alone. You didn't say what trans you have. Maybe add an overdrive 5 or 6 speed manual trans for great highway cruising.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You say, "Out of the box the ZZ produces 469 HP w/513 ft lbs of torque". That's killer power and torque. Those are Yenco Camaro numbers now. In a '68 Camaro you can't hook up the power you have now on the street. Why mess with it?? If it presently has good street manners leave it alone. Sure you can get more out of it but it will be in the high RPM area requiring crazy rear end gearing. Why??? You'll end up making the car insane, less drivable, and find you'll be driving it less and less over time after adding a wild cam. Sounds like you have a great runner now. Leave it alone. You didn't say what trans you have. Maybe add an overdrive 5 or 6 speed manual trans for great highway cruising.
That is really good advice.....but I am terrible at leaving stuff alone. I will see how it performs once I am past the clutch/tranny break in. BTW, it has the brand new Tremec TKX 5 speed transmission.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
My father had his project quoted by both Jones and Bullet. Prices were comparable, as were the cam specs. Jones' cam was a shade smaller and my dad had a really good rapport with the owner Mike; so thats where he spent his $. The engine is very tame until you mash the pedal; which works verry well with his custom 4spd and 3.08s.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Do you have the 3.27 first gear and 0.72 fifth gear or 2.87:1 first gear and 0.67 fifth gear version? For your car Weight and rear gearing the 2.87:1 first gear and 0.67 fifth gear would be the better choice. Don't make the mistakes a lot of people on this forum made with cams that don't work with less than 10 or 11:1 CR, with no low end power, erratic idle, poor drivability, terrible fuel mileage, etc. You could do super tuning like Iridium plugs, good flowing headers/exhaust, EFI, cold air intake, etc. Leave the engine internals alone. GM engineers went through lots of time, testing, money, development, etc to come up with your engine combination. You think changing one thing (Cam) is gonna make huge improvements. Believe me you'll be making a big mistake.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.