Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you guys think about this cam with no stall??Cam and Lifters, Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 282/292, Lift .465/.488, Chevy, Small Block, Kit. it is goin to be a everyday driver. 2.02 heads 600 carb, performer intake and headers?? is this a good combo???

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
well without knowing the specifics on the cam like the overlap and @ .050 duration its difficult to tell, but as a general rule of thumb anything over 270 advertised duration is not good for a stock converter.

To be honest, I'm not sure why you would resist getting a stall converter. I'd bet money that your car would run better times (traction withstanding) with a stock cam and a cheap stall converter than it would with a stock converter and a lumpy cam. IMO any cam upgrade should include a stall upgrade too. It just capitalizes on your investment. You can get a 2500 stall for less than 200 bucks, too.

K

·
Registered
7 Posts
cam and stall

we built that same combo for my brothers 70 chevy and it worked much beter with a 3000 stall.It picked up a giant power gain on the street

·
Registered
10 Posts
cam with no stall

Sounds like your on the right track but I've had a so called "278" size cam in a stock SBC and it was a dog until 3000+ RPM without a stall. Even with a stall is was hard to tune for idle and had to run super rich on the idle jets.
I have found the cam manufacturers are not lying when the advertise the RPM ratings for a particular grind. I used a similar grind in a stroker 383 with little or no lope or idle quality but in a 350 it was too much for a daily driver.
I would suggest a shorter duration (205/210 to 215/220 (+/-) @ .050" lift) with as much lift you can stand or use 1.6 ratio rockers if you have the valve clearances at the pistons and spring crush. 1.6 rockers would let the heads flow better with the shorter duration cam and would have more low end torque that a street machine needs. Also easy to idle and tune for lower RPM.
Be sure to check your cam specs as most cams now are listing durations @ .050" lift and the cam you called out may be measuring from the cam base circle and not at .050" lift.
You would probably get some "stall" if you put this cam in a 350. :D
Good Luck,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts