Hot Rod Forum banner

cam????????????

731 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  techinspector1 
#1 ·
Ok. Now, once again. stock 305, but I put a edelbrock rpm performer intake and a 1401 edelbrock carb.( 600 cfm) What sise cam should I get to help increase my power. nothing too large but large enough to hear but just right to light em up hahaha. I want to keep the 305 because it came with the truck and i want to keep the orig. motor block. so no 350's here. how do i get kick a_s power out of a 305. O- does anyone know what sise my stock cam is--1982 silverado. I was told I could change my rocker arms with difrent ratio to also act as a cam swap. ever heard of this?

#3 ·
your best bet would be get some better heads for added power
forced induction can help a bunch (as with nitrous)

with more lift you need better valve springs, but 1.6 rockers arenta bad choice
a higher lift cam with a little more duration than stock would help with your low end torque (such as Blazin recommended)

but more duration will kill bottom end torque (duration is where the sound comes from)

#5 ·
mynuffinfutsitch said:
your best bet would be get some better heads for added power
forced induction can help a bunch (as with nitrous)

with more lift you need better valve springs, but 1.6 rockers arenta bad choice
a higher lift cam with a little more duration than stock would help with your low end torque (such as Blazin recommended)

but more duration will kill bottom end torque (duration is where the sound comes from)
blazin? where do I get info on this

#6 ·
That's a good start. With a small engine, low compression and stock heads you definitely don't want to get too carried away with a cam. Remember that camshaft size has a bigger effect on smaller engines. i.e. A cam in a 305 will produce less vacuum, idle a bit rougher and produce less low rpm torque than it would in an otherwise identical 350. IMO, the Performer RPM intake may be a bit much as well.

If you want to spend a bit of money then you can put something like this together: http://www.popularhotrodding.com/en.../0667_phrs_305_chevy_engine_blocks/index.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.