Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
THUG LIFE
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm narrowing a 12 bolt rear end housing & need to know what the width of a stock 67-69 Camaro 12 bolt axle housing is at the outside of the brake flanges. The measurement needs to be accurate, I'm ordering new axles for a 67-69 Camaro for it.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts

Most of the knowledgeable folks I know measure to the axle flange ( like shown :D ) My 69 Z-28 was 58 inches ... measured the above way ...

Attachments

·
THUG LIFE
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Deuce said:

Most of the knowledgeable folks I know measure to the axle flange ( like shown :D ) My 69 Z-28 was 58 inches ... measured the above way ...
That would be fine if I needed to know the over all width for a compleat rear end, I'm building one from scratch. I need to know the width of the housing from the brake flange to brake flange. I know that the axle stand out ( the distance between the axle flange & the housing flange ) is 2.812", But I can't find any positive info on the housing width. I have a stock 69 Camaro 10 bolt in the car right now, but the axle shafts are a different length between 10 bolt & 12 bolt, not much of a difference but it makes a difference at the brakes ( especially disc brakes ) when your welding new ends on the housing.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
So if you know what your standout is , then why don't you take the hub to hub and subtract the standout dimension x 2?

If your stock 10 bolt is 58", then subtract 5.624 and make your flange to flange 52.376.

There is a website in the KB that gives housing widths as well as hub to hub, but the way they list the dimensions doesn't inspire alot of confidence. It lists a 68/9 camaro as being 60" hub to hub.

Or order your axles and narrow the rear end to fit them. If you are ordering some that are dimensioned to fit a stocker then that would be the way I'd do it.

If I were you I'd give Moser or Dutchman a call. They probably have all those dimensions at hand, and can get you all straightened out.

Moser sells their axles at the same price as summit, so why not just deal direct with them.

Just tryin to help,
Mikey

·
THUG LIFE
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought of that too, I've added the length of both axles ( 29.5" each ) & the diameter of the cross shaft pin ( .625" ) = 59.625, then subtracted the axle stand out ( 5.624" ) giving me 54.001. I was planning on narrowing the housing to 54", but would fell more confident if someone knew the exact measurement from a stock housing especially since I'll be running disc brake too. When I measured the 10 bolt that's in the car right now I got 59.5", not 60", the 12 bolt should be just over 59.625" with the brake rotors or drums.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Some of those disc brake kits have spacers on the brackets that can be adjusted. So if you are off by 1/8 it isn't a big deal.

I know that the ones that I've used from ECI and Wilwood have them. They are just mild steel spacers, easily shortened, or easily made new if need be.

Later, mikey

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.