Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am converting my 79/78/76 Camaro to a manual transmission, it is currently home to one of those TH350 'automatics.' I have been talking to a guy who has what seems like all the major parts I need, because he parted out a manual camaro of the same era, from him I am getting a flywheel, bellhousing, shifter, pedals; he thinks he has the linkage for the clutch and a crossmember around somewhere.
I think it best to simply buy a new clutch pack from my local parts store, but are there any specific ones anyone knows are good? Something I should look for online? I don't want to blow a fortune on a clutch, but I should be making somewhere around 360 lbs of torque, so I don't want to shred it.

Are there any big tips anyone can give me for this? Anyone else done this who might be able to point out problems I am going to encounter, so I can "plan" ahead?

I'm simply assuming I will need a crossmember, although at least 2 people have said that they are the same from auto to manual in these cars. Anyone got input there?

Is there something big I'm missing?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got a set of brake and clutch pedals from a manual camaro, so that's the easy part. I just take out the bolts that hold in the original assembly and switch 'em, then knock out the rubber plug in the hole for the clutch linkage. I'm pretty sure that the hole is in the right spot, if not I'll whip out the drill...

I actually think I might just do that today, it'll be funny to drive the car around for a while with a clutch pedal in an automatic.

Chris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts