Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Wish I grew up in the 60's
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i have a 1967 camaro convertible. I have switched the original 327 2bbl engine with its powerglide transmission to a 1971 350 from an el camino paired with a TH350. So far i cannot get the mounts to fit on the car. If you are looking straight at the car the right mount fits but the left will not line up in the back. The transmission mounts fit fine but the left motor mount just will not line up properly, it is about 3/16 of an inch off the hole. Am i using the wrong engine mounts?? Or are the mount that are on the crossmember bent?? Is there any other reason you can think of that would prevent me from putting this engine in, and a possible solution for it?? This is really starting to aggravate me. Thanks for your time, colin.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The beauty of Chevrolet engine interchange is that you can take just about any small block after 57 (55-57 didn't use side mounts and don't have mount bosses on the block) and drop it in almost any chassis by simply using the mounts and accessories from the old engine on the new one.
Did you put the 67 mounts on the 71 engine??

·
Registered
169 Posts
3/16 what direction?

You have to remember that, when producing such mass quantities of parts, there is always a little variation. Chevy made some 'wiggle room' to account for this. I had some trouble getting my motor into my 87 caprice, but then I loosened up the bolts that held the frame-side mounts to the frame, AND loosened the bolts holding the mounts to the engine block. We slung the motor in, wiggled it and the mounts until I could get the large through bolts in, THEN tightned down all the other bolts.

If worst comes to worst, maybe you could enlarge the holes holding the frame-side mounts to the frame. Usually the holes are elongated in some direction to allow that 'wiggle room' I mentioned.

·
Administrator
18,402 Posts
That engine should fall right in there.........Maybe, the rubber on one of the mounts has shifted slightly.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Funny you mentioned that problem. I had the same issue putting my 383 into 67 coupe. A lot of wiggling and puffing. A friend of mine was helping me out. We also had hell of a time aligning motor mounts and tranny bellhousing bolts (the th350 was left sitting in the car). It is doable :)

Den
'67 Camaro RS

·
Registered
60 Posts
Me and my buddies race several classes of dirt tracks.
We are always swapping engines from donor vehicles in the lower classes.
There seem to be at least three different engine mounts.
Trucks, big bodies, and metrics are all different. My knowledge is limited to the specific models we use (camaros, montes,big and metric) but... we always keep the engine mounts with the car they came out of.

Because the do not all just drop in. I have taken new motor mounts and laid them together from different models, and they range as much as 3/4 in taller.
Use the mounts for the car model

1 - 11 of 11 Posts