Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
pretty simple. There are two bolts at the bottom rear of the fender, one at the top under the hood I belive also theres one by the door hinges that you get to by opening the door. Theres two up front attached to the radiater support directly in veiw after you open the hood. There are 6 or 7 on each side attaching the front end to the fenders. There are two at the bottom front of the fenderd attaching them to the bottom of the fender support also. There are 8 or 10 attaching the fenderwelss to the fender. There are 8 attaching the front end to the cars frame. Take all of them out and it should be ready to take off. Pay attention when taking the front end off there might be two shims that tell the exact placment (left/right alighnment) Don't remember, but if there are pay attention to them because it helps when putting the front end back on. If you take anything else off like little rubber bumpers under the hood remember where each one goes because the hood won't line up exactly the same way if you put them back in in different places. They have their own memory in them from years of use.

HK

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Neil
You should be able to pull fenders, fenderwells, bumpers all together. That is called the doghouse. Disconnect the battery. Remove the hood. Then disconnect the wiring harness from the block on the driver side firewall. Then under the rear of the fender by the door you will find one or two bolts, remove these. Do the same for the other side. Now open the doors and look at the top where the hinges are. You should find a bolt from the fender in this area. Remove that. Now look where the hood hinges are. There should be another bolt from the fender to somewhere on the firewall. Look underneath the wheelwell at the back top of the front tire and see if there is a bolt with a big washer going thru the innerfender. If there is remove it. Now look in the are of the bottom of the radiator (BTW drain and disconnect the hoses) you will find 1 bolt on each side at the frame area with some rubber bushings. Remove these. Now look underneath on each side at the frame horns (the horns are the very most front of the frame) you should have two bolts on each frame horn holding the bumper irons on. Remove these and any bolts to any other small braces that run back to the frame from the bumper. This should be about all of it. Lift up at the wheelwells and see if it feels loose everywhere. If so it takes one person on each side at the wheelwell to lift it up and off. You now have total access to the engine and frame to get everything clean and prepped for paint. As for removing the fenders from the doghouse you will need to remove the grill and nose from the doghouse then there will be a series of bolts down the top of the fender, around the wheelwell, and behind the nose and it will come off. I'm not sure whether you are removing the whole nose or just the fender but this covers the whole nose. Also where you work ask them if you can copy off the exploded view from one of their assembly manuals. I would think they would have some. That is if you are still working there also. The biggest thing is to take your time because if you don't I guarantee you will screw it up. If you are going to get pissed at it for not coming apart, walk away for awhile. I have seen so many people get pissed and drive a hammer thru a fender because something won't come loose. If everything goes right you can have the nose removed in 2 hours. Good luck.

Kevin

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I already got most of the bolts out.I think I got all of the ones from the side fenders.I just need to work on the front end.I gota wait for a nicer day kuz we just got like a foot or two of snow here :( But thanks for your help Kevin45 and Halloweenking :) :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts