Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 chev on 79 chassis, 62 LeSabre
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont know what to do anymore. just the thought of driving this thing next to or behind a semi or a rock truck makes me cringe. borrowing money to pay the painter for a $9000 paint job and then getting rock chips, keyed, shopping cart or the deliberate back bumper i've heard about doesnt seem smart. on the other hand, if this car is worth so much with new paint, the way cars are appreciating wouldn't it be worth just as much even with scratches on the paint in five or six years if i hang onto it that long? i could sell this, pay off three credit cards and buy another one, rebuild my 400 and drive a beater. what to do, what to do. i have to keep the car for a little bit as i have to re carpet it and still need to pick up the back seats and package tray and still have to put in the all-guage instrument panel as well as get the cash to replace the control arm bushings. there is also a mystery "slight vibration" i have to deal with and correct.
i wish i didn't have to do all that cause by the time i get it done i might get an ding or two. what do you think each rock chip/ding would be worth in asking price deductions on my car? i pick it up tomorrow.

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
That's one of the reasons that I paint my own cars.................the other, is I am a cheapo.

I don't have to worry about driving them every day. They aren't perfect and I don't have a whole lot invested.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.......................

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Sell it on ebay

1) you'll be more succesfull there
2) people can only judge by pics and pics can be deceptive (good ting)
3) set a high reserve first to see what it makes
4) if your happy with the results repost it and say you cancelled the first one for personal reasons
5) keep on riding that Tempest, she's a looker:thumbup:

Mike

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,859 Posts
Keep it through the summer, hit a few car shows with a "for sale" sign in the window, entertain some offers. Personally, if I had a car that I was worried toooo much about getting the typical scars from using it, I'd sell. Being a nervous wreck while you're driving the Camaro will probably result in a wreck. And then there's the "Bullheimer" luck. AND THEN there's the remorse, self butt kicking, woe is me feelings you're sure to get for the rest of your life if you sell the car. Hope I helped. :confused: Dan

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
If I was "super" worried about a ding, rock chip, etc, and didn't have an extra $1000 to put back into it just in case a small fender bender happens I would sell for a profit. Like Ghetto stated...get it appraised. Put it on EBay with a high enough reserve so that if it sells you have some change in your pocket. If it's too good to drive and you don't want to sell, then it ain't worth havin'.

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
bull, here's what you do...ghetto whispers into Bulls ear: insure the car for $25,000 and have it "stolen" if you lived in PA I could give you some numbers to call. But your in Washington so you'll have to find your own criminals. Couple vin changes and someone else gets a nice Camaro. You get $25,000 from the insurance company.

·
Registered
56 chev on 79 chassis, 62 LeSabre
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i can sell it on ebay for that.
you're right about the $1000 to fix it tho. i just asked him and that's what he said. as well as what i said, that it will go up way more than that in 3 or 4 years. i just gotta be sure i'll keep it that long to make it pay for itself. i am so much more comfortable drivng my truck and i can park it anywhere i can even tailgate a rock truck if i feel like it. my tempest doesnt bother me to paranoia anymore but i stay really far away from everybody else on the freeway. i take it to work on i-5 everyday when i drive to work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.