Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ihave a 50 chevy 2 door sedan, I would like to put Camero sub frame under the front, but all the threads I've read any time someone ask about changing susp. all any one can talk about is Mustang II, why? Is it only for the rack& pinion or is their something wrong with the Camero. I will feel A lot safer with the springs and other parts of A V8 under me, but if for some reason they are a real pain to install the I will look more at the other choices . thanks for any help. J.F.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
To begin with the Mustang II came not only with 4's and 6's but also with the 302 V8 so there's no reason to fear that suspension.

As to the Camaro clip..... a lot of times it's too wide for the application and requires odd ball back spacing on whatever wheels are used. In your application you need to measure the hub to hub distance of your stock suspension and then compare it to the 76-80 Camaro measurement of 61.3". If that winds up being too wide then a 68-74 Nova clip might work since it's only 59.8".

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
You may also consider an S10 front frame section to graft onto your chevy and I have heard the "G" body Monte Carlo, Buick Regal, Cutlasses, etc. from '78-'88 are good candidates also.
Like Centerline said, check the hub to hub width and use what is closest.
Mark

·
Registered
75 Posts
front end

The way the the early Chevy's front suspension unbolts from the frame leaves a very attractive frame to add the aftermarket front end cross member. There have been several articles in magazines written on this swap. My thoughts are it is a very nice looking set up (much better than any welded on sub frame because of the reasons mentioned) and it can be updated from stock componets while building, to new fancy SS A arms and such when the money is available. And yes the R&P is a nice touch.

Just my $0.02 worth

Randall

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ran across a 70 camero this morning compleat down to the trans cross member. Every thing looks good I think I'll go with it, thanks to everone who replyed. J.F.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
It's your car but don't blame us if the tires contact the fenders when you're done. The technical manual for 50-54 Chevy cars indicates that yours has a front track of 57" and I strongly suspect the 2nd gen Camaro has a track several inches wider especially since the rear axle measurements (hub to hub are right around 62"). This would make the rear track somewhere in that neighborhood given wheel back spacing etc. Overall, your the Camaro subframe will be too wide for your application, but like I said before it's your car so do what you want.

·
Registered
296 Posts
If it were me.... I would suggest looking into someone like No Limit Engineering who makes an M II based crossmember specifically for that car....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts