Hot Rod Forum banner

Camper paint

541 Views 10 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  gregaba
I am posting here because hot rod painters seem to know more than most other painters. Anyhow, I have a 21 foot camper that has aluminum sides. The aluminum is smooth panel. The paint is heavily faded. I thought it was bc-cc, but when I tried wet sanding and buffing, it never shined, and eventually the paint started to show up on my buffing pad. The paint color is black. I think I would like to repaint it a metallic silver. I need to sand the decals since they won't come off. I will be painting outside, without a booth. I live in the Tampa area, were we do we get lots of sun. I have only painted one vehicle before with bc-,cc, results were ok, but had a lot of buffing to do. What type of paint would be best for this project. Would actually urethane be any good? Due to size and no booth, looking for input. Also, if I sand through existing paint, what kind of primer for aluminum.

Thanks Scott
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
I had a contract with Budweiser to paint all their trailers and trucks for about 10 year's in the 90's.
We had to paint outside as we did not have a shop big enough to get the trailer's in.
We would sand the old paint [using 320 grit paper] down enough to get good adheision with the paint, no need to go to bare metal.
We would then use a good PPG primer [gray].
The paint we used was a single stage paint which shines real nice when set up and cured.
Looked good rnough for Bud.
Greg

· The Penny Pincher
2,072 Posts
I think single stage urethane would be your best bet, it's tougher than basecoat/clearcoat.
I painted my boat with it and am amazed how strong it's been against all the stuff I hit with it.
Putting it on over epoxy primer makes it tougher.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, since it is aluminum, is there a special primer? If I use epoxy primer, do I have to use a regular primer over it. Also, do you have to let primer dry and then sand and coat it, or just let it flash and the go right to paint? Also, if I use a metallic silver, can you buff it? Would a pearl flake be better than metallic with ss paint? Wish I could afford to let someone else do the paint, but the one quote I got was way out of my range; I do have a compressor and a devilbiss plus gun, so if I can do it, I might as well give it a go, can't look worse than it does now.

Thoughts on the gun doing what I am talking about?

Thanks again

· Registered
2,489 Posts
Thanks guys, since it is aluminum, is there a special primer? If I use epoxy primer, do I have to use a regular primer over it. Also, do you have to let primer dry and then sand and coat it, or just let it flash and the go right to paint? Also, if I use a metallic silver, can you buff it? Would a pearl flake be better than metallic with ss paint? Wish I could afford to let someone else do the paint, but the one quote I got was way out of my range; I do have a compressor and a devilbiss plus gun, so if I can do it, I might as well give it a go, can't look worse than it does now.

Thoughts on the gun doing what I am talking about?

Thanks again
The harbor freight ( sorta) hvlp guns do a decent job of material transfer & atomization ( about $20 ) , single stage paint with a catalyst . Even rust oleum has catalyst ( gloss retention less UV damage) I'd see if there's a semi gloss/ satin finish available , boo on metallics , solid color is better ( touch up or matching is far easier )

· The Penny Pincher
2,072 Posts
Some urethane metallic colors can't be buffed without disturbing the metallics
and making the paint look different in places.
If I am planning on cutting and buffing a urethane metallic I'll
spray some clear coats over it to make it more buffable.
Works quite well.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use UreKem now. Paint and primer.
Very reasonable price and very good quality.
Do a search and they will come up. Give them a call and they will answer all your questions.
Real fast shipping.
Gregc
I called UreKem and after discussing where I live and my project, they think I should use bc cc. Now I am questioning myself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts