Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we have a 283 small block chev v8 . we would like to know please some information fitted to this engine. as the engine was a rebuilt unit and the prior owner is now deceased i have nothing to go by. therefore i have removed the camshaft and would like to know any information you may be able to give. the numbers on the camshaft are as follows : gm6 73279 thankyou

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
Not that it'll mean much, some 50-odd years after it was built at the factory, but maybe there is still a stamped alpha/numeric code on the passenger side block deck, right at the front of the block that would give you a little history on the motor. There is also a large casting number on the bellhousing flange. If the motor is still in the vehicle, it can be read by shining a strong flashlight on the number and using a telescoping mechanic's mirror to read it. Neither of these numbers will I.D. the cam, but may provide information that can be chased down later on to add to the known history of the motor.

Your screen name could mean that this motor came from your '56 Chevy and in that case, if it's the original motor for the car, it would be a 265, not a 283.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.