Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,597 Posts
With a cam that mild, I'd install the right springs, break it in, and full send.
Proper break-in lube on the lifters and lobes, 20 minutes at fast idle, change oil, drive, change again at 500 and 1000 miles.

I've built probably 30 flat tappet engines and never used break-in springs and never had a problem, even with switching to modern oil after about 1000 miles. It's always wise to be safe given the amount of labor involved if you do wipe a lobe, but I also think that the intarwebs sometimes cries apocalypse when it's not quite that much of a problem.

· Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,597 Posts
In fact (to add) the last one I built was a Caddy 500 using that technique above. I had it in a 66 Bonneville for a while, then a 78 C30 where it towed heavy stuff a LOT with Evans coolant. It frequently saw 290 degrees (oil never got above 240 or so with the cooler). I sold that truck to a guy who tows his big horse trailer with it and he's still running it with 100k or more on it.

· Registered
34 Posts
With a cam that mild, I'd install the right springs, break it in, and full send.
Proper break-in lube on the lifters and lobes, 20 minutes at fast idle, change oil, drive, change again at 500 and 1000 miles.

I've built probably 30 flat tappet engines and never used break-in springs and never had a problem, even with switching to modern oil after about 1000 miles. It's always wise to be safe given the amount of labor involved if you do wipe a lobe, but I also think that the intarwebs sometimes cries apocalypse when it's not quite that much of a problem.
This.

Ive been using the Summit brand oil lately in all my old motors. They sell a good break in oil and then I switch to their Hi ZDDP standard 10-30 or 20-50 Hot Rod oil to keep the cams happy.
The price is pretty good and I usually just add a case every once in a while when Im placing an order for other stuff.
Several motors have been running it happily.

· Registered
16,125 Posts
Yes this is a valid trick and is used frequently by pro builders.

One of the things I’ve grown to dislike doing because I just am not that fond of changing springs on an assembled engine. Not that it’s a huge trick nor all that difficult but it’s one of those things in life the doing of which annoys me more than it should.

Bogie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts