Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all. Im looking to swap in a new camshaft soon and was looking at Lingenfelters cam for the L98. I am using a TPI setup in my truck (3/4TON 2wd gmc). Its going in a 350 and wondered what you all thought about this cam for my application. Th-350 (a 700r4 in close future) with 4.11 gears.

211/219 duration .530/.560 w. 1.6 rockers

Any ideas on this?

Soon (in about 2 months) the stock heads will be replaced by some Trickflows (any good/bad experience with these?).

I dont mind running a vaccum reseviour if its needed to maintain the system with a somewhat radical cam. I am looking for power between idle and 5200 RPM.

·
Time is short, are you ready?
655 Posts
I agree with 302/Z28.

Is it a flat tappet or hyd. roller? What is the lsa? Considering it is a TPI application, I would keep the lsa between 112 -114.

Trickflows - I had a set of "Twisted Wedge" heads and did not like them, and I heard that they are prone to break valve springs. But, I have read many good reviews on their standard 23* heads. Plus, they give you many options with the 23* heads regarding styles (i.e. spring sizes, bolt patterns, emissions legal, etc.) at reasonable prices.

Question: Why 1.6 rockers? Do you already have them or just want more lift? Increasing the lift from .497/.525 (w/1.5) to .530/.560 (w/1.6) will not give you that much benefit considering what the Trickflows flow out of the box and the RPM levels you will be operating at. 1.6's will force you up into a bigger valve spring and only increase stresses on the valvetrain, but maybe that is not a concern.

Good luck, Ed www.edgesz28.com

·
Registered
87 Posts
Low duration - High lift = gobs of torque. I think that would work well with a 350 with reasonable campression. Would go wit twist flow 23 deg heads though.- Very good reviews.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The lift measurements given by Lingenfelter on their website are given based on 1.6 rockers at .050 I believe. It is a hydraulic roller cam. I realize that spec wise its not too radical and was curious if I would be better going with something that was or sticking with the Lingenfelter. I realize their designs are pretty firm however I am not putting this cam in the intended vehicle (weight, gear ratio, etc are different). l

Edge - Lsa is 112 I believe.

What heads would you all put on this setup? Dont factor in cost. Id like to stay away from AFR's as I hear it takes months to get them and have heard some horror stories about the castings.

·
655 Posts
IMO - go with that cam and use 1.5s.

I would use either the Trick Flow 23 degree heads set up for that lift and your intake bolt pattern (pre-87' or canted style). If your manifold has the early style intake bolt pattern (pre-87'), I would probably consider the Edelbrock Performer RPM heads instead.

In fact, you could go with the Edelbrock heads and use Edelbrock's high-flow TPI base for pre-87' bolt style. Click here and scroll down to the TPI stuff.

I think that would be a nice setup for your stated goals. Ed

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would I not benefit from a larger intake and exhaust runner volume of the trick flows?

Trickflows (23degree) 195cc Intake 75cc Exhaust - vs - Edelbrocks 170cc Intake 60cc exhaust.

·
655 Posts
Maybe, depending on the total combination; but this one's above my level. You have to weigh larger volume vs. velocity, etc. Hopefully someone with more experience can give you a better answer regarding runner sizes.

I will say this, I owned a set of Performer RPM heads on a 355 with the matching RPM cam. With the Pro-Flo fuel injection, it was an awesome combination. When I upgraded to the 383, I went with the AFR 195 heads and eventually the RPM hyd. roller.

If I had to make the choice, I would probably go with the RPM heads, the cam you listed and the Edelbrock base (and/or runners). I think those heads would work great with a TPI system and the RPM range of your proposed engine.

For perspective, American Speed Enterprises uses the RPM heads on engines making up to 450 HP. Above that, they use the AFR 195 heads. Click here for more information on their engines.

They actually have one titled 355 CID "Enforcer 400 TPI" Engine - 86-92 - racey idle, Edelbrock heads Maybe you can get the specs on that engine. With 435 ft/lbs. that would be sweet in your truck.

Good luck, Ed.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. Like with any situation where I am going to be spending the big $$$ ( or what I consider big bucks) I want to make sure I am doing it right.

Id like to give my setup a nice boost from where its at. Currently its running the stock heads and performer cam, stock intake base and runners.

Over the next few months I will be puttin on the new heads, cam, intake and runners, and am thinking about doing a direct port nitrous setup (100hp shot) however thats at the end of a very big list. I hope to step up to the 700r4 so I can finally have some overdrive and more cruisability with these 4.10 gears.

Anyways I hope to be in the 390+hp range (without the N02 lol) and hopefully these additions will allow that.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
195's are big for a 350, those are an upper mid head taht will carry you well into the 6k range. 170 edelbrocks are more apropriate if you really want the torque you're talking about. You have some options here, and you have to decide what you want to do. If you want a good take-off, run just enough compression that you can run some good timing (aluminum heads 10:1 would be great!). You also have to decide if you're wanting a stump puller or a neck snapper. The difference being, do you want to pull cars out of ditches or do you want to roast some tires? Because you can do the latter with a 268 or 274 ish cam and a bigger stall. The best way to get the grunt will be with more cubes, I would build nothing smaller than a 383 for any truck.

K

·
655 Posts
Are you subject to emissions testing?

I just thought about something else. Will your engine have to pass a smog test and/or visual inspection?

If so, you may wish to consider the #3040002 Trick Flow 23* heads that are emissions legal since the RPM heads are not legal. The Trick Flow heads include provisions for the EGR in the stock location.

If emissions testing is not a concern, then you can run the RPM heads and not worry about EGR provisions. Just have your chip burned to eliminate that function. If you want EGR regardless, you can still run the RPM heads and plumb in exhaust gas to the rear of an aftermarket intake base. I know TPIS' "Big Mouth" intake gives you this rear EGR feed option, and I think Edelbrock's does as well. The Edelbrock intake is 50 state legal, but the TPIS "Big Mouth" may or may not be legal.

Good luck, Ed.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The truck is a 66 and hence its exempt from smog restrictions in my state. I have already eliminted EGR from the system and have reprogrammed accordingly.

I dont mind upper RPM power however with the TPI's they tend to run out of breathing past 5000 RPM. THis can be extended with the Bigmouth and large runners however I dont see this being a 5500+ engine.

I want a constant hard pull of acceleration. Id rather have someone pushed back in their seat mildly throughout the duration of a race than have ALL of my power on the low end.

This is still my driver for the most part and hence I dont want to turn it into an all out racer or anything of the sort but some nice performance isn't out of reach. Id rather impress the person in the other lane with a nice constant pull than smash my passengers head into my rear windshield lol.

I guess maybe I want my cake but would like to eat it too?

Killer - your right and I'd love to go with a larger cubed engine however I am not at the point of rebuilding the entire setup just yet but when it comes I will definitely up the cubes (Id love to use a 400 block).

·
655 Posts
Siggy_Freud said:
The truck is a 66 and hence its exempt from smog restrictions in my state. I have already eliminted EGR from the system and have reprogrammed accordingly.
Good deal. I would go with the RPM heads, the Lingenfelter cam you indicated above, 1.5s, and the Edelbrock base for the pre-87' head style. Then when funds allow, bolt on some aftermarket runners (if you decide to do that later) and not have to worry changing the base.

Try to build the compression around 9.5-1 to 10.0-1. At 9.5-1 with aluminum heads and multi-point fuel injection, you can probably run regular 87 octane all day long for normal type driving and not have to worry about detonation.

Next, make sure you match up the converter accordingly. You are running 4.10s, but what size tire? Ed.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They are radials measuring at 275/60R15. I plan on getting the aftermarket runners down the road as I will be using them for the direct port setup.

You think the 170 sized heads will provide enough flow through my intended RPM range?

Killer you mentioned a cam with a bit more duration. What sort of stall would I be looking at and where would that move my powerband up to?

·
655 Posts
You think the 170 sized heads will provide enough flow through my intended RPM range? - Yes. My 355 SBC with the RPM heads and cam pulled very hard to 6500, just as advertised.

Regarding the converter, with a 4.10 and 28" tall tire, I would probably go with something about 2200-2400 RPM.

Good luck Siggy! Ed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts