Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
"But how do it know?"
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have been researching camshafts, specifically the correlation between power and emissions output. I found a very informative page online that deals with camshaft basics that I believe other members with my mechanical aptitude (very basic, couldn't pop the hood if my life depended on it) might find helpful. It discusses how the cam operates, gives a basic idea of specs, compares flat tappet vs roller, talks about camshaft timing, and mentions the importance of ZDDP in older engines with flat tappets. It also includes a link to a quick video on installing a camshaft by the Boxwrench Series.

You can view it here: "Choosing a Camshaft": (http://www.aa1car.com/library/camshafts.htm).

If anyone else has any additional useful info to add, please do so. :D

·
More machine than man
846 Posts
Here is one I refer to a lot: http://www.thirdgen.org/sbc-camshafts-primer

lt1silverhawk said:
Hi All,

I have been researching camshafts, specifically the correlation between power and emissions output. I found a very informative page online that deals with camshaft basics that I believe other members with my mechanical aptitude (very basic, couldn't pop the hood if my life depended on it) might find helpful. It discusses how the cam operates, gives a basic idea of specs, compares flat tappet vs roller, talks about camshaft timing, and mentions the importance of ZDDP in older engines with flat tappets. It also includes a link to a quick video on installing a camshaft by the Boxwrench Series.

You can view it here: "Choosing a Camshaft": (http://www.aa1car.com/library/camshafts.htm).

If anyone else has any additional useful info to add, please do so. :D

·
"But how do it know?"
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
SSedan64 said:
I love this simple definition from the Popular Hotrodding article you posted:
"The camshaft's job is to control the timing and motion of the valves, and how those valves are orchestrated has everything to do with the way the engine will behave."

"All About Camshafts" - From the October, 2007 issue of Car Craft By Jeff Smith
The section titled "Effects of Lobe Separation Angle" is excellent. The two articles from Car Craft are real handy too.

Silver Surfer said:
I like this one. I organize my stuff in list format so this works very well for me.

I personally find all of these worth reading. Some have good examples and others have good break down of definitions.

I would also like to add Tilden Technologies' page: "Camshaft Basics and Terminology" I do like the detailed info and the visual folks will definitely find it helpful (check this out). The section on degreeing a camshaft is useful too. My suggestion to newbies like myself would be to read the more basic pages first and then tackling this for a more detailed overview.

Thanks guys! :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.