Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If so what needs to be done to it?

I have a stock 10 bolt and am wondering what i have to do to make it handle the hp i am going to be running through it.

12 bolts seem to be very expensive.

and I really don't wanna spend any money.

Thanks!

·
More for Less Racer
20,926 Posts
If it is stock, it will be the 8.2" Chevy 10-bolt. Not the strongest thing, but with a couple of upgrades will handle the power you are talking about as long as you don't intend weekly dragstrip duty on soft compound tires or slicks.

Weakest part in the factory assembly is the carrier and spider gears. Replace these parts with an aftermarket Eaton (best) or Auburn positraction unit.

Replace the factory ring and pinion gears with aftermarket ratio of your choice.

Added security would come in the form of a rear girdle cover, and c-clip eliminators if you think it may see some limited drag strip time.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ericnova72 said:
If it is stock, it will be the 8.2" Chevy 10-bolt. Not the strongest thing, but with a couple of upgrades will handle the power you are talking about as long as you don't intend weekly dragstrip duty on soft compound tires or slicks.

Weakest part in the factory assembly is the carrier and spider gears. Replace these parts with an aftermarket Eaton (best) or Auburn positraction unit.

Replace the factory ring and pinion gears with aftermarket ratio of your choice.

Added security would come in the form of a rear girdle cover, and c-clip eliminators if you think it may see some limited drag strip time.
i do plan on getting slicks for the strip but it is likely i will only take it once or twice a year

·
Registered
9 Posts
If it makes 525hp with slicks, you will only break it one or two times a year also. If you have 525hp you are already spending money. Upgrade as soon as possible. At least get a 8.5 that will bolt in and buy the Eaton for it instead of patching the 8.2. I have a customer with a 3rd. gen. camaro with the 7.5 rear. He drag races and runs mid 11's with no where near 500 hp. He just broke the rear last week for the third time in a year and a half. He is putting another 7.5 in it because a 9" is too expensive. This will be his 4th. 7.5, I think he has already spent more than the swap would have cost and is still destined to do it again. But maybe you are lucky, well are you?

·
More for Less Racer
20,926 Posts
pittbull7934 said:
i have a line on a 12 bolt for 150, i just dont have anywhere to store it right now
Bolt it under the El Camino the day you get it and pitch the 10-bolt, or store it in the bed.

Or store it under the kitchen table or under your bed, don't let it get away at that price!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.