Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a direct injected engine be run with carbs? i know about how the air/fuel path has to come thru the intake and all that.

What i'm not clear on is how the direct injectors behave when combustion is happening?

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,064 Posts
You would be effectively doubling the fuel supply without changing the air. It will run pig rich... if it runs at all.

Help us understand what you're trying to accomplish.

·
Old(s) Fart
5,886 Posts
If your question is, can an engine designed to run as direct injection be CONVERTED to a carb, the answer is yes, but with a lot of work. There won't be a carb intake for that motor, so you'll have to fabricate one. You'll have to remove and plug the holes for the injectors and the high pressure pump. And of course you'll need to figure out how to trigger the ignition since all DI motors are computer controlled. The reward for all that work and cost will be a significant drop in performance.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Sure. Just get 8 single barrel carbs

Manage to get them all working together😡🤬 😢

Program/tune/make your own ecm to fire the cylinders. Dont forget the advance.

Then expect "flying toilet" on/off throttle responce..

Or just run a carb or tune the fuel injection the engine was designed for.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd prefer efi, but would still rock a carb if I were building it.
Engine masters on motor trend did a comparison test to the hp and efi. EFI made a tad more power, but not astronomically more. I don't remember but both of them were within like 10 hp on a 600+ hp motor iirc. The major benefits of efi are ability to run well in all weather/altitudes and can be much more efficient.
If I ever get around to building a hot rod, I'd probably go carb for simplicity. I could get it running easily. Then could switch to efi later after I was sure everything else was solid. But if I were buying a hot rod/project, I'd lean more to one with efi.

·
Registered
14,580 Posts
As Joe said, direct injection makes more power than a carb or induction side EFI. The big reason is there is no fuel occupying volume space ahead of the intake valve. Thus the engine is using that space for more air. Therefore, with high pressure direct injection there is more mixture to burn so there is more force being applied to the crankshaft.

There are more factors, but for equally built engines direct injection always carries this advantage. There is no way within this context around this.

Bogie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts