Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at performance chips for my 83 camaro. There is a stage 1 for stock engines and a stage 2 for engines with low restriction exhaust and low temp thermostats. I have hedman headers and a dynomax cat-back single exhaust system with
2 1/2 in pipes. I think my exhaust system is high flow enough for this chip but i wanted to know if i should get a low temp thermostat. It seems like a low temp thermostat would help my engine to stay cooler (obviously) but i wanted to know what some cons. are to having one. I'm not really worried about it using more antifreeze I just need to know what bad things a low temp thermostat could do to my 305.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Engine shouldn't be USING antifreeze at all ;)

For the most part, engines have an operating temperature at which they run most efficient. What temp are you running at now?

I personally would go with something around the 185 range.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
anti freeze?

I wouldnt recommend running without anti freeze, especially if you live in a cold area. The fact is that antifreeze will help your engine run cooler as well. I used to run a 50/50 mix in my race cars as well as my daily driven street vehicles. While I dont have any race cars now, I still run the 50/50 mix in my cars. Anti freeze goes a long way to prevent steam spikes in your heads, which can be conducive to cracked heads and potentially a lot of other damage, like a fried block.

What does the factory recommend for your thermostat?
Most computer programs are temp sensitive and will adjust timing, fuel mixture etc based on imput on engine temp. Unless you are running consistantly over 195 degrees, I wouldnt change, unless your aftermarket computer chip recommends runnig a cooler one.
Some after market chips want thermostats as low as 160 degree, for them to function as programmed.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Re: anti freeze?

Max, i think he was meening they shouldn't consume antifreeze, not that there shouldn't be any in the engine.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't think I'd put less than a 190 degree thermostat in anything that's not carburated, and even then I'd make sure I double checked any automatic choke settings after I changed the thermostat and got it good and warmed up. If you run your engine too cool you run a risk of being constantly rich, and this can certainly damage an engine.

Also, below 190, your heater won't seem to work as well, if you live in a colder climate.

[EDIT]

P.S.
Also, make sure your shroud is in good shape, and is closely fitted. If you're having trouble cooling, a nice, tight-fitting shroud is an absolute MUST.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Computer Chip, Stage 2, GM Car (CA Emissions) #JET38303CS
_ STAGE 2: Designed for modified vehicles with low restriction exhaust and low temperature thermostat. The JET Stage 2 Performance Chip has been calibrated for peak horsepower in cases where the engine has been modified to run cooler and the exhaust system is less restrictive than original equipment. **Special Note: Stage II Chips are street legal in all 50 states. *CARB E0#D-234-4
Price: $ 127.97
http://www.martelbrothers.com/customer/product.php?productid=JET38303CS&cat=&page=1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These are the details about the chip. Does the part where it says CARB E0#D-234-4 mean that this system will only work with an original carb, because im planning on getting a new 600cfm 4bbl. There is also a stage one chip,i posted the details for that below.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Chip, Stage 1, GM Car (CA Emissions) #JET38303C
_ STAGE 1(California Emission Vehicles): If you have a stock engine with no other modification, this is the chip for you. The JET Stage 1 performance Chip is programmed for maximum power increases on a stock vehicle for improved performance under hard throttle conditions such as towing and wide open throttle acceleration. *Special Note: Stage 1 Chips are street legal in all 50 states. *CARB EO#D-234-4

http://wwwhttp://www.martelbrothers.com/customer/product.php?productid=JET38303C&cat=&page=1.martelbrothers.com/customer/product.php?productid=JET38303C&cat=&page=1

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
I dont really see how running a little rich could damage an engine. Its getting late so I might not be thinking too clearly but could you please explain.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Running rich can wash cylinders and thin oil, causing extreme wear on an engine. In your everyday grocery getter it's bad enough, but in a performance engine it can cause catastrophic failure very easily if the condition persists long enough.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I have to agree with running rich. When an engine is warming up it likes a very rich mixture which the ECU will provide. When warm, this is way too rich. You have to get past the thought that more fuel equals more power. A lean mixture will make more power. I think what the chip people are doing is fooling the ECU into providing more fuel for engines that are modified and need the extra fuel. I dont know why they just dont rework one of the global fuel modifiers, but I suspect it has to do with the tunability of oem computers.

I would never run a low temp stat. That combined with running rich is asking for problems. If the engine temp does not get high enough, the fuel, acid and other contaminants will not burn out of the oil.

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Would an engine temp in the 160 area cause an engine to run rich enough that it would begine to deteriorate the oil?

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Whether 160 would do it depends on the engines air flow characteristics and if the stock fuel table is inadequate. It also depends on where warmup enrichment stops with the factory programming. I would bet that 160 is at the end of the enrichment, but it might go up as high as 180 or 190 depending on where the engine was designed to run.

Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
thermostat/coolant

I am running water(distilled) with a quart of 40below additive to my 32 plymouth. I have been running this now for about 4 months here in Florida with no problems at all. The 40below is suppose to help reduce air pockets.
sgunlock

1 - 16 of 16 Posts