Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am choping the top on my pro street truck.Can the windshield and back corner glass be cut without breaking it.
thanks
Loy

·
banned
1,083 Posts
Umm no... at least not at home... any quick change in heat that is significant will shatter it.. such as trying to cut it with a grinder... and any other way you won't get too far... at least to the best of my knowledge

·
go fast, turn left!
267 Posts
The only way i know to do this at home is to slowly grind away from the edge and i have only seen that on the smaller pieces. windshields are very hard to do. there was a post on this topic a while back and there was a lot more info there, you might find that thread if you search.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Mark your lines where you want to cut the glass, then put about 5 or 6 layers of duct tape on either side of your line leaving about 1/16" gap between them. Cover the rest of the glass with one layer of duct tape. Then fire up the sand blaster and blast away at the exposed line. Go slowly and evenly and this will cut your glass very well. Then once you are done, start out with about 60 or 80 grit sand paper and smooth the edges up working your way to finer grit paper until you have reached the desired smoothness.

·
Registered
313 Posts
no, if it would make you feel better you could poor some water on it while you are blasting it, but that would just make a big mess. You just have to make sure not to be too aggressive.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the tips, sorry i have not responded for a few days. went to shreveport for a few days so wife could win some $. the truck is a 54 chevy pro street with 604in bbc
Loy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts