Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
machinest & A&P Mechanic
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can you guys name this movie i seen like 9 years ago (when i wasn't really into cars) i think it took place in the 1950's or 60's the wolfman was always on the radio. the main character drove i think a gasser and i think it was blue with a hemi in it (cant remember the movie very well) some1 he was racing against stole his car and trashed the engine so he stole a cop car's motor and swapped the two, i think he even punched new numbers on the block. also their was street racing, running from the cops.... and i think in one part they stole some1's wheels and let it sit on jackstands in the parking lot... in another part some1's car broke down and the gf got pissed and got a ride from another guy... ring any bells any1???? some of this stuff may not be correct as i seen it so long ago and i really didn't know what i was looking at 9 years ago.. i do remember tho drag racing was the main thing in the movie. i have this urge to see it again.

-Leo-

·
Administrator
18,438 Posts
Think it was called "Hot Rod".............starred Robert Culp as the bad guy, Grant Goodeve as his spoiled son................

The star, don't know who it was , started with a early 60 Mopar, wrecked it and put the HEMI in a Willys............

Was a TV movie, I think............................

or

2 Lane Balcktop.........

or American Grafitti.

I think that you are conbining a bunch of movies into one..................

What are you drinkin' tonight??????

·
machinest & A&P Mechanic
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am drinking minute maid fruit punch.... lol i could be combining them... i have seen a bunch of car films, then again when i sleep i have dreams like that so thats maybe thats where some of it is coming from... you wouldn't believe the stuff i dream about, from doing brake jobs to putting a flathead ford on a motorcycle to james bond/dukes of hazzard lol cant you tell i never had a gf?. btw yeah i seen it on tv, maybe PBS? they kept stopping the movie and asked for money... ugh :spank:

-Leo-

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
That is THE hot rod movie for Willys lovers! Just watched it last week w/ my grandson. IT was a TV movie shot in 1979 called Hot Rod. It is a pretty bad movie acting and plot wise but it stars a '42 Willys all the way through so is a must have if you love gassers. It stars several almost famous people - Pernell Roberts (Adam of Bonanza), Robert Culp, Grant Goodeve (hosts a home renovation show on Discovery Channel), Gregg Henry (co-stars in movies quite often and I think he is on some current TV dramatic series).

Steve Castelli bought the old primered Willys that was used in the show and built this AAG nostalgia gasser that he appropriately need Hot Rod Willys and has campaigned it for 10 or so years. He and it are somewhat of a legend in the nostalgia drag racing sub-culture. He dominated the class a few years ago but is an also ran recently.Another view.

CDs and VHS tapes show up all the time on ebaY. End up going for $20 - $25. They sell them at those hot rod video vendors tables at rod runs too for the same price.

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
I use to watch that movie over and over when I was little. Infact I think it's in a box of old vids that we have in the basement.

·
machinest & A&P Mechanic
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool thanks guys, so maybe i am not all nuts... but that movie just sticks in my mind and i think of it out of nowhere.... can i go to the video place and find it or no?

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Hey OldSchool....sounds like you got a little American Graffiti mixed into it. The Wolfman (Wolfman Jack) was in American Graffiti. That was when they had to gewt him to dedicate a song by 1:00 because Tubby's was closing and slated to be tore down. American Graffiti....:thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Tired old shiftworker
82 Posts
Ahhh yes that movie was a little cheesy but the cars were cool as heck. That was one of the first willys I had ever seen and man I thought that car was so bad. There was a dj in that movie that was on the radio but i can't remember if he sounded like Wolfman or not.
Here is a list of a whole boat load of car movies but I can't believe Bullet and McQue are not in this. http://www.sandlotshrink.com/movieauto.htm

Anybody remember McQue with John Wayne? I loved that Brewster Green Trans Am he drives....the good old days.

·
Administrator
18,438 Posts
Neat list, Chopper..........heres what they said about "Hot Rod"..

Hot Rod (1979)… Gregg Henry, Robert Culp, Pernell Roberts, Robin Mattson, Grant Goodeye. Average TV-movie featuring lots of loud engines, drag strips and fixed races. A drag-racer enters a local championship race and fights corruption along the way.

of course, the good ol' bad hot rodder has to fight a bit of "corruption" along the way.........................

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
Chopper64 said:
Ahhh There was a dj in that movie that was on the radio but i can't remember if he sounded like Wolfman or not.
Yes, the rebel hero hooks up with the rebel DJ early in the movie and they conspire to beat the corrupt establishment at their own game. You know, the bad businessmen who are trying to make their business survive in a small town, the evil cops who are trying to control street racing which kills citizens vs. the good hot rodders who drive unregistered cars, street race in residential neighborhoods and swear to never work for a living. That age old struggle between good and evil that we all know and love.

The DJ tries to do his best Wolfman imitation which is terrible at best, but hey, this was a TV movie with a budget I would guess in the $250,000 range and 90% of that probably went to Roberts and Culp to convince them to appear in a movie this bad!! 90% of the rest likely went to buying a cherry all steel '42 willys and a 426 hemi for it. Didn't have a lot of $$ for the rest of the 'talent' -and it shows.

Anyway I love the movie and along with American Graffiti, Family Vacation, Rustler's Rhapsody, Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, and the Pink Panther movies, is a must watch at least 4 times a year.

·
Tired old shiftworker
82 Posts
Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. Boy that brings back some memories. I remember the first time I seen that movie and it was one crazy flick. Lots of good actors too with Spencer Tracy as my favorite of the bunch...sniff, sniff, man I'm getting old. Could someone please put father time on hold please.:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
[email][email protected][/email] said:
Yes, the rebel hero hooks up with the rebel DJ early in the movie and they conspire to beat the corrupt establishment at their own game. You know, the bad businessmen who are trying to make their business survive in a small town, the evil cops who are trying to control street racing which kills citizens vs. the good hot rodders who drive unregistered cars, street race in residential neighborhoods and swear to never work for a living. That age old struggle between good and evil that we all know and love.
Isn't that the movie where they stole the "Hemi" out of an AMC Police Car????

I stand corrected about the REBEL OF THE ROAD on video.

The movie originally aired as HOT ROD, the later it was aired by a different network as REBEL OF THE ROAD. (I think, long time ago;) ;) ;) )

·
Administrator
18,438 Posts
Ya gotta love bad movies..................

"Hollywood Knights"........................"Blazing Saddles"....................."Young Frankenstein"..........................

Enen "2 Lane Blacktop" was a pretty poorly made, read that cheaply made, film.........................but, we love 'em.....

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I had an old 50s movie I found in a bargain bin and can't remember the name of it. I think Chuck Conners (the rifleman anyway) was the Chief of police and one of Bing Crosby's lop-eared kids was the local hotrodder with the cool roadster and following of half wits. Then some out of town more badassed type comes in with an early fiftys coupe, maybe a 49 merc, don't remember much more than that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I can't believe they left "Vanishing Point" and "Hot Rods to Hell" off that list! Oh yeh, and "Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry"

BTW, the guy who directed Nirvana's "Nevermind" video is re-making Vanishing Point...We'll see.

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
BattlestarOne said:
Isn't that the movie where they stole the "Hemi" out of an AMC Police Car????
Yes, and when they are pulling it out of the police car, it has finned cast aluminum valve covers and dual quad aluminum intake manifold. In fact, it looks strangely like the one that blew up in the Willys that it is replacing! Like I said they spent their money on one Willys and one 426 hemi.

·
Beats pickin' cotton
117 Posts
Hey OldSchool....sounds like you got a little American Graffiti mixed into it. The Wolfman (Wolfman Jack) was in American Graffiti. That was when they had to gewt him to dedicate a song by 1:00 because Tubby's was closing and slated to be tore down. American Graffiti....
Kevin, you are mixing Hollywood Knights and Graffiti together. Tubby's in in H.K.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts