Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 84 302 in a 94 thunderbird supercoupe i pulled out the supercharged engine and put in a well built 302. i used the factory supercoupe radiator(downflow). and i can run it for about 15 minutes and it will pop a freeze plug it has popped 3 already it would pop one so i put in a expansion plug and it would pop the next one does anybody have any clues. its really aggrivating

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
Even so I`m not sure, but it kinda sounds like they were installed without any sealant. It wouldn`t seem likely pressure would be doing it since the radiator cap is suppose to pop before the freeze plugs do. I would just use all expansion plugs, but you may want to check the pressure in the system.

·
Administrator
18,635 Posts
Did you rebuild this engine?

When it was hot tanked, were the freeze plugs replaced?. Maybe, the caustic solution loosened them up and new ones wern't put in.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also it is only happening on the driver side and im afraid to put all expansion plugs in that side cause im afraid of popping the rear one and i dont want to pull that engine out again.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I personally installed them my self. i didnt use any kinda sealant or anything just dry. And i took it back to the machine shop and they had to fix one cause they said it wasnt in good enough. they said it would be fine. you dont think it could be somthing internal do ya?? I hope not I spent alot of time and money on this engione

·
Registered.........
8 Posts
What type of head gaskets did you use, and what type of an accessory drive are you using? Ford used two types of head gaskets for its small block 302 (that I'm aware of anyway), one was for the traditional style V belt drive system and the other is for the newer serpentine drive set up. They do not interchange! Also, If the newer serpentine drive is being used, this means the water pump spins " backwards " compared to the older V belt set up - which requires the cylinder head gaskets be installed with the correct side facing up. If this is not done it will restrict coolant flow on the DRIVERS SIDE and will cause excessive heat to build up! I know on Fel-Pro brand head gaskets, one side is installed with the blue side up, the other with the blue side down. I hope this helps.

Pete

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My block came out of a 85 LTD its a non roller it was a serpintine. I used the factory timing cover. I am using a v-belt set up. I used a water pump(new) off of a 80's f150 with a 302 driver side exit. i made sure the gasket matched with my cover first and it did cause in my gasket kit i had 2 different ones then the pump came with one and it matched up. I used victor reinz. thats what came with my kit.

·
Registered.........
8 Posts
You have two options that I am aware of. One is to pull the heads and replace both head gaskets with ones for an older style 302, or use a reverse rotation water pump - these are identifiable by the thicker smooth pulley which uses a serpentine type belt. By the way, the 302 , 289, and 351 water pumps all have the same water pump inlet and outlet spacing - they do differ in overall dimension and rotation depending on the year/application.

Before you do any thing else though, you need to confirm that the head gaskets are installed correctly. Now if this engine was pulled from the LTD and the entire long block was re-used without removing the heads it would be safe to assume that the head gaskets are properly installed. However, if the heads were pulled and the gaskets were not installed with the proper orientation the gaskets will need to be replaced before anything else is done. If you do pull the heads, replace the head gaskets with ones for an older 302 application and you can use your existing V belt style water pump set up. Best of luck!

Pete

·
Registered
393 Posts
Sure sounds like your getting compression into the water. Have you checked for a blown head gasket? Try running it with the radiator cap off and see if it bubbles over. You would think the cap would not let the pressure build up that high and you would be right if the cap was ok. I blew a head gasket once from a bad cap. It started with a radiator hose leaking which I tightened and the leak stopped then a heater hose started leaking. I tightened it and it stopped about the fourth time it started to leak it blew the head gasket and I knew the leaks were trying to tell me and I wasnt paying attention. I have a cap tester now and I check them whenever I have a leak.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
First, any properly installed core plug should stand 20 psi easily. I always use Black Aviation Permatex. Test your radiator cap for 15-16 psi. Most new caps check 3-4 psi lower than their rating.

Second, SBF head gaskets have the front end marked as FRONT. What side is up doesn't matter. Usually most all SBF head gaskets have a square corner on the front end near the lower front head bolt. This sticks out from under the head to identify if the head gasket is installed correctly. Some aftermarket aluminum heads cover this corner but it can be seen with a mirror. Depending on the brand of the gaskets, they might not have this corner. No corner is visible, then check the rear of the head to see if the corner is there.
I would check the brand of gasket you used to see if they have a corner.

The bottom right picture shows the gasket corner.

I think that you just did a poor installation. If I were you I would consider a complete core plug redo.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
was not poor installation!!!

I did not do a poor installation I didnt post this on here to be made fun off or riduculed. I found my problem thank you very much it was the head gasket!!!!
ok the head gasket was my problem so i went today and bought a new set of fel-pro head gaskets and they were identical. they were for a 62-93 is what the box said. so what is going on?? thats what my gasket set said 2. down below is a pic of what i need if your kinda clueless on what im rambling about. was not poor installation!! :mad:

Attachments

·
boatbob2
1,385 Posts
blown freeze plugs..........

hi Matt,i read all of the posts,i didnt see one of them where anyone made fun of you,or ridiculed you. all i read were different posts where the guys were trying to help you.if thats the way you take our posts,maybe you better go play with the girls,and leave us hotrodders,that are trying to help you alone. im boatbob2

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
this is bull!!

boatbob2 said:
hi Matt,i read all of the posts,i didnt see one of them where anyone made fun of you,or ridiculed you. all i read were different posts where the guys were trying to help you.if thats the way you take our posts,maybe you better go play with the girls,and leave us hotrodders,that are trying to help you alone. im boatbob2
first of all Im no ricer!! I know they was trying to help me but the last guy kinda pissed me off saying poor installation thats like saying you dont know squat so how about minding your own buisness ok!!! Im having a hard time trying to figure this out and i dont need someone going off topic!! :(

·
Administrator
18,635 Posts
How about we all lighten up a bit. I am sure no one was trying to ridicule anyone.

Whether we want to admit it or not, we all have our limitations, and we all make mistakes from time to time. We should be able to take a bit of critisism as well as we give the same.........We are all here basiclly trying to help one another.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks!

hey thanks, did you get my messages? I still dont have a clue everyone is telling me they where wrong sizes and to check my cooling pressure so I guess ill try that. thanks for your helpl man youve really helped me and the gaskets are the same for all the years. ialled the ford tech line they said the holes infront is supposed to be blocked off. So oh well. I guess ill just put in another x-pansion plug and trie it again to see if another one pops out. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.