Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from England, my 35 Ford has a 9" rear axle with rear discs, I'm trying (without success) to fit a handbrake on the trans. tunnel.

Sadly, I can't get the rusted up, never used old handbrake cables off, so I thought I'd try n find out what the actual brakes are off. There is a '6' etched onto to wheel rim mounting face if that means anything?
Automotive tire Automotive design Gas Auto part Automotive exterior
Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Bicycle part
Crankset Tire Automotive tire Vehicle brake Wheel

· Registered
302 Posts
Looks like a Lincoln Versailles. Could be a full size Lincoln Continental or Mark, but they were very wide. The Versailles was very popular for building street rods at one time. It was a fairly narrow 9" Ford with disc brakes and they were readily available in salvage yards. This would have been in the 80's and 90's. This has changed and last I heard, brake parts were very hard to find. Except for the brakes, all the other parts are just regular 9" Ford.

You may wind up having to swap to a newer set of rear brakes, since that rear end has not been made for at least 25 years.

Once you do manage to get the cables off, Lokar may have cables with the ends you need. Give them a call. You may have to send them a picture of the existing cable ends.

EDIT: I just checked and the Versailles was only made from 1977 to 1980, so those brakes are over 40 years old. It's most likely true that the brake parts are not available. With only 3 years of production, there is not much of a market for the specialized brakes.

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow!..............hat's off to your knowledge HR46, I've never heard of the car, but I think the original build was done in the late 70's, which would tie in with what you're saying.

So, in effect, I'm up the creek without a paddle, what is the smart move now? do I have to replace the whole axle or can I get an aftermarket disc kit to fit that exotic, rare n problematic axle?

· Registered
302 Posts
The basic axle is the same as a million other 9" Fords. The outer axle bearing changed over the years as did axle spline count depending on the application. There are several different aftermarket manufacturers selling disc brake kits for the 9". You need to know your wheel bolt pattern, brake flange offset, and center register diameter. The center register is the raised round portion of the axle that keeps the rotor centered. I know you probably work in metric, but you will need to convert to inches.

Here is one example, but it is far from the only one. This kit appears to use GM Cadillac calipers. This is common with a lot of these kits. There are other high end multi-piston kits from Wilwood and Baer. You can spend as much as you can stand, like a lot of things in the hot rod world.

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks for your help HR, my engine is a 350 Chev mated to a 2 speed auto, so power n acceleration are, errrr...................minimal n therefore I won't be needing any exotic rear brakes!

At present, with no interior and wiring and new paint needed, the less I spend on frivolities like brakes, the more chance I have of actually getting her back on the road (currently our 'gas' costs us $10 a gallon!!)

· Registered
572 Posts
Big knickers if you can get them off with out destroying them? I would drop them into a bucket of oil/trans fluid and let them soak. There’s a good chance you could revive them.

This will most likely work if you have time.
When you start pulling by hand with pliers or some tool, pull on the caliper end. This would be the corrosion out of cable

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Many thanks everyone for your help, sadly, I'm not great at mechanics (smashing houses about is my thing), I have another question, my discs have a lot of play on them, I can rock them about an eigth of an inch.............that can't be right can it?

· More for Less Racer
21,865 Posts
my discs have a lot of play on them, I can rock them about an eigth of an inch.............that can't be right can it?
Without a wheel bolted on, or at least a couple lug nuts tightened onto the bare studs against the rotor with the wheel off, then the rotor will be a slightly loose fit and you'll be able to wiggle it around. That's normal.

if the wheel is bolted on and it wiggles, that is bad.

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks EN, I've learnt something there. Today I went to our biggest Hotrod show of the year (the NSRA supernationals), there must have been 100x 32/ 34 Fords there, 2x 37's, 2x 36's..............but no 35's

· Registered
217 Posts
On this side of the pond '35s are fairly rare also. Funny thing until the last 30 or so years '37s were fairly rare and kinda ugly next to '36 and '40s.
I can't imagine the difficulty and cost building a 35 where you are.

· Registered
65 Posts
Looks like a Lincoln Versailles. Could be a full size Lincoln Continental or Mark, but they were very wide. The Versailles was very popular for building street rods at one time. It was a fairly narrow 9" Ford with disc brakes and they were readily available in salvage yards. This would have been in the 80's and 90's. This has changed and last I heard, brake parts were very hard to find. Except for the brakes, all the other parts are just regular 9" Ford.

You may wind up having to swap to a newer set of rear brakes, since that rear end has not been made for at least 25 years.

Once you do manage to get the cables off, Lokar may have cables with the ends you need. Give them a call. You may have to send them a picture of the existing cable ends.

EDIT: I just checked and the Versailles was only made from 1977 to 1980, so those brakes are over 40 years old. It's most likely true that the brake parts are not available. With only 3 years of production, there is not much of a market for the specialized brakes.
Having worked at Ford Dealer in 80-81, I can tell you that the number one problem with those calipers was the e- brake. Before you go to the hassle of finding cables, make sure the e-brakes will apply and release. Rebuilding them wasn't hard, getting the e-brakes adjusted to work correctly was. If you have to have them for safety inspection, I get it. If you don't and the hydraulic portion works, wait a while and upgrade when you get the funds. You will be several headaches ahead to upgrade.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts