Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While picking up bodyfilling supplies, the rep there suggested that I will be able to do the primering (2K) myself.

I have a suitable compressor. I am not 100% convinced though.

The advantage is, I will save the trailer rental $130 + x 2 to take the car back and forth the the body shop.

The disadvantages are
I don't know what type of resparation system is required
I may have to heat the garage more
There may be other technical aspects I am unaware of
What do you think?

3,214 Posts
With all the other work you have done, spraying 2K primer should not be a problem. You will need the metal and air temp around 60+ deg. If you ave good air flow, a respirator with a charcoal filter should be fine, although a frsh air system is the best. Since primer is to be sanded anyway, the finish is not really that important.

Aaron

·
Registered
194 Posts
I spray primer at home no problem. I'm a first-timer too. I have the Hobby Air II Setup, but the amount I spray in (1 qt at a time) seems to be not real cloudy in the garage. The last time I heated the garage up & waited until the metal warmed up. The paint was stored in the house to keep it warm. I have an HVLP gun and kept the pressure around 30-35 psi and even with the garage only cracked about 6" at the bottom, it didn't get bad in there. Thats with no fans also.

Just my .02... Be careful though...

·
Registered
192 Posts
like in reality, with spraying a base coat of epoxy primer over bare metal, am i going to be okay with some possible mess ups and stuff like that or if the garage isn't like sterile as a operating room? it shouldnt matter a whole heck of a lot as long as i get the bare metal coated right?

also, do you guys still do the whole make-shift spray booth in the garage for primer also?

3,214 Posts
Shift.... If you have a garage full of stuff, like most of us, it is a good ideal to isolate the vehicle/parts you are spraying. When you spray paint, you have overspray that will get everywhere. If you are spraying epoxy, whatever it falls on, it sticks to, and is a real bar to get off. Depending on the 2K, it may, or may not stick, but will be everywhere. As far as needing to be "sterile", no big deal. Primer is going to be sanded anyway. Any runs or slip-ups willl sand out.

Aaron

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We started doing a spring cleaning (I was the one who started with our garage) and my wife got inspired and started de-junking, so did a couple of our kids. This is good, and the side benefit to me, was a whole helluva lot of platic contatiners and bins were made available to me to bring to the garage, and store parts in.

Thia should keep the overspray/dust impact down.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
SHIFTY101EASY said:
like in reality, with spraying a base coat of epoxy primer over bare metal, am i going to be okay with some possible mess ups and stuff like that or if the garage isn't like sterile as a operating room? it shouldnt matter a whole heck of a lot as long as i get the bare metal coated right?

also, do you guys still do the whole make-shift spray booth in the garage for primer also?
Shooting primer is an opportunity to get the gun settings right and try to get the paint laid out well..

I cover everything in the shop with some plastic sheeting to help with the cleanup afterward..a little trash or run in primer just causes a bit of work to sand it out..and with primer one can spot prime any areas that need it..

Sam

1 - 9 of 9 Posts