Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seems obvious, but in case I am missing something I have this question. I have a dial indicator with a magnetic base. My flywheel is currently in a machine shop being resurfaced. Can I dial indicate my bellhousing by attaching the magnetic base to the crank? The answer should certainly be yes, but all the videos I have seen on how to dial indicate attach the magnet to the flywheel. I don't see why attaching it to the crank instead wouldn't accomplish the same thing.

·
More for Less Racer
20,450 Posts
You are correct.

You probably see it in pictures and YouTube usually on a flywheel because that is big, flat, magnetic surface what is really stable.

Probably the easiest way to dial in a bell would be bare block, main bearings in and crank....and that's it, proceed to dial in the bell with ease instead of fighting with an entire rotating assembly and ring drag.
Just takes a good amount of foresight ahead of your build to remember to do it then.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are correct.

You probably see it in pictures and YouTube usually on a flywheel because that is big, flat, magnetic surface what is really stable.

Probably the easiest way to dial in a bell would be bare block, main bearings in and crank....and that's it, proceed to dial in the bell with ease instead of fighting with an entire rotating assembly and ring drag.
Just takes a good amount of foresight ahead of your build to remember to do it then.
Appreciate the info.

·
Registered
340 Posts
If you ever do this in the future, you would be well advised to do it before completely assembling your engine. You can set your block on a table with the main bearings installed or just the front and rear bearings installed with oil on them. You can mount the crank/and or flywheel and the housing. It makes it very easy to rotate it and set it up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts