Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The driver's side CV is shot on my 2K LeSabre. Little vibe at highway speeds, clicky clikcy on sharp right turns, etc.

I have a Haynes manual and have read up on the process, I am not rebuilding the CV's I will buy the whole half shaft with both CV's and replace as a unit.

Any special tools ( I think I will need a 2 arm puller ) or tricks to this job?

It doesn't look terribly difficult, but I wanted to make sure there weren't any major pitfalls I am unaware of...

3.8, 90K miles, FWD

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What - no one here has replaced a half shaft on a front drive GM?

They've only made about 20 million of them....

·
Registered
427 Posts
Take a pill dude.
Just because no one jumped in with an answer means they are busy.
Jobs, kids etc.
You know that kind of stuff.
Take it apart and replace it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply - from the manual it doesn't look too bad

we'll find out saturday

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Success!

Done and done.

for the record, the axle nut is 34mm

I found using a piece of 2*4 to hold the lower control arm out of the way was a help. I needed a pry bar to get the old shaft out of the transaxle, but it popped right out.

Since I only did one side and had one side jacked up I didn't lose any fluids either.

Not an easy job in my book, but not bad either. A 2 post lift and air tools would make this almost easy to do.

·
Registered
290 Posts
CV joint

Guys another quick way we used to do them in the dealership. When you take the axle nut off, take the 3 bolts out that hold the bearing in and pull it out it's not pressed in, take the tie-rod loose and don't even worry about the lower ball joint. The bearing out and the tie-rod loose will give you more than enough clearence without having to fight the lower control arm or trying to pry down on it and line the ball joint back in it's slot. A quick jerk at the transaxle case with a pry bar on the axle housing and it's out. Make sure when you install the new axle you hear it snap into place.
This way you can simply slide the spindle back over the end of the axle and slide your bearing back over it without being in a bind to try and line up the splines the other way. New pin in the tie rod you are done.
26 minutes with air tools was about normal. Without air tools doing it this way it should save you an easy hour if it's your first one. Good Luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts