Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install an old carburetor style motor(with HHO conversion) into my 2014 Silverado 4x4(5.3l) and get rid of the entire computer system. Can this be done? What needs to be considered before attempting this project?

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,277 Posts
Sure you can.
You have induction, charging, ignition, fueling, and trans/body control issues to address by doing so.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Are you talking pull engine and install a simple 350 or 454? My question is why?
are you looking for modern suspension and interior but with old tech engine and transmission.
The answer is yes, but you would most likely have to swap engine and trans. Also you would have to address other things pointed out above.
Many nice new features most likely would not work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am willing to give up some modern features, As to why, I wish to modify the older engine with high production HHO generator for max fuel economy and more importantly I am sick of the new tech, all these companies use it as a way to control what we can do with our own property and I am sick of that.

·
Registered
14,574 Posts
Not at any reasonable cost in time or money.

Everything on the truck you have is operated by the computer. To eliminate the computer is essentially to make a shell out of the truck and start over with pre 1987 parts from the turn signal flasher, instruments, fuel tank plumbing and pump, transmission, brakes, transfer case, and on and on this goes. Your starting point is to strip the truck down to sheet metal and seats maybe not even the seats and start over.

Your money and time ahead to sell or scrap your truck depending on condition and buy a pre-1987 that has no computer and build on that. The middle position is to start on the first computer invasion with the 87 through 95’s which have the computer running the TBI injection and automatic transmission starting in 91. These are pretty easy to back date to carburetors and mechanically controlled transmissions. All the other systems in these are still old fashion stand alone analogs for the most part.

Starting in 96 is OBD-II and complete integration of running everything through the computer and I mean everything. You cannot touch one thing without affecting 10-20 other things not even related to what you’re trying to do. Ask the farmer with a late model John Deere how happy he is when big green died in April and it ain’t fixed yet! He had to haul it 500 miles to a repair center, get in a long line, wait for shop space to download the trouble codes, order the parts, recode the part serial numbers into the computer. Then fight with the ID’s it won’t accept, on and on this crap goes for months as the seasons pass. The manufactures have you by the gonads playing “hey senior’ just let me touch your balls. Oh senior’ now that I have your balls, give me your wallet”. Basically OBD-II let the OEMs do what they wanted for nearly a century which was to force all repair work into their dealer shops. Just in case you haven’t noticed that the corner gas station’s work bay has been reconfigured to sell Twinkies. This isn’t because new vehicles are so trouble free, it’s because without a powerful knowledge of integrated computer controlled systems, local networks and access to the codes and protocols you can’t work on the problems.

In short you’re screwed, yes you can work through this if you have months to solve the problems and the knowledge of how these systems are architected and have got the bucks to solve the work around.

I used to screw around with this stuff but any more forget it and I’m a retired aerospace engineer with degrees in this crap.

Bogie

·
Registered
7,481 Posts
Hydrogen Generator... The easiest thing to do, is sell 2014 Silverado, and buy a 1986 Silverado... It's as simple as that. If you want technology that was superceded in 1987, then buy the newest carburated one you can, which is '86 in the case of GM 1/2 ton..

Being real, a 2014 Silverado 5.3L being an LT1 based engine, makes about double the hp of the 1986 truck, even with the torque management. LS and modern LT engines are probably the most popular swaps going, and there is a reason for that

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great advice, I think I will take it. Thanks.
How about installing an HHO system on my 2014 then? I just think that it would make my computer go haywire. I hear about guys doing it then the computer actually compensating to keep the fuel efficiency lower because its reading too lean. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
For fuel economy you want light and Fwd(a majority of weight/stress is kept on the front letting ithe rear be lighter).
Manual with overdrive.
2wd and a 2 passenger(less weight better aero) with minimal features such as no power steering.

Your 4x4 silverado is none of the above.

If you want fuel economy I would run something like a carb hho setup on a metro or civic from the 90's

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,277 Posts
A custom tuning of the ECM will negate much of the things you don't like with a boost in performance and if your using a PC to read this, you have the skills to learn it yourself.

·
Administrator
9,980 Posts
Depending on the location this truck is used. I would be concerned with emission testing and requirements of that state in the USA

·
Administrator
8,300 Posts
HHO wouldbe akin to running propane.Only with a much LARGER fuel tank.Probably take up most of the Bed. And try to find a fuel station with HHO

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,647 Posts

·
More for Less Racer
20,450 Posts
Looks like you'd need a whopper of an HHO generator to run completely on HHO for very low emissions.

Just adding it to a gas powered anything is just ridiculous, total waste of time. Doesn't do a thing.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I do not get the big problem. From reading the replies it seems that the computer controls many things which I am not familiar with as I do not own anything that new. This is what I would do.
1. completely remove all the wiring, Strip it completely. Go to American auto wire and buy a universal wiring harness and install. Rewire truck as if it is an old truck from the 60's. I have a 65 f100 and it should be no different than mine.
2. Install the mechanical fuel pump on the block or get a low pressure electric fuel pump and install with a return pressure regulator. Use the existing fuel lines. Your may have to install a new 3/8 supply line if the existing is smaller but one of the existing lines can be used for the return.
3. If the transmission is electronic you will have to get one that is not.
4. Get a set of stand alone gages. Speedometer may be a problem. Autometer has stand alone speedometers; I installed one in my truck. They probably have a dash insert to fit your truck as they had one for my 65 f100.
5. Get an old style master cylinder with a vacuum booster if necessary and remove all electronics from the brake system if it exists.
6. You probably can use the existing electric radiator fan if it exists or install a fan on the engine with a thermostat drive. You will have to install a stand alone thermostat for the electric fan.
7. Install an old style ignition switch on the dash and wire with relays for the accessories. If you present steer wheel locks with the ignition switch on the column remove the locking mechanism.

No, this can not be done in a weekend. If this is a daily driver get a cheap car while you do this. Some things that you presently have you may lose but from your post you do not care about most of them. You may lose anti-lock brakes; We have been driving cars without them for 100 years. Yes, it will cost some dollars. You may lose the air bags. If money is a problem they do what others have said; sell this truck and buy an older one. The problem with this is an older truck with a good body and frame will be hard to find and be expensive. If the truck you have is good this is more important. You will completely ruin the resale value of your present truck but if you plan on keeping it so what. In ten years it won't be worth much anyway. If you tune the carburetor correctly the gas miles will not suffer to much and may be better if done correctly as long as rearend ratio, transmission and engine match.

This sounds like a fun project.

I personally would not own a 2014 truck for the reasons stated by others in this thread.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,647 Posts
Before we get the OP tearing his truck apart, how about if we find out how much hydrogen his generator will produce?

I mean, what's the point if his initial idea won't even work? It sounds like he's been sold on a snake oil idea.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I agree with pugsy. I do not think the hydrogen generator is an option at this time. Maybe 20 years from now. I assume the OP will just use a gas engine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts