Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5.3 in my 2000 pickup and Ive been told it is a destroked 5.7, if so, I was wondering if I could go the other way and make a 383 stroker out of it and if so what kind of performance gains would I get. I don't think it is the LS4 as It has the aluminum Vortec heads, but iron block.

Any input greatly appreciated.

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
The 5.3L uses the same stroke as the Gen III 5.7L and the 6.0L at 3.622" The 5.3 has a 3.779" bore, the 5.7L has a 3.893" bore and the 6.0 has a 4.00" bore. Even if you were to take the 4.00" stroke out of the new 7.0L you're only going to end up with a 359" V8. And I don't even know if that crank would even fit. Unless there's an aftermarket crank somewhere with a 4.25+" stroke I highly doubt you're going to stroke your 5.3 out to a 383.

BTW, the GEN III 5.7L shares nothing in common with the older Gen I/II 5.7L/350

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Defiant said:
a 5.3 can be built to 383 ci. i can't find my specs at the moment but when i do i'll post 'em
Is this a kit that you speak of or just an accumulation of parts, either way I would be really interested to know how you did this. If there is a site that you know of were I could see this I appreciate any info you have.

thanx john

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.