Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 1990 ford crown vic with the 5.0 in it. I was wondering if i can solder my own ecu connections with toggles and pots attached.. reason is .. 1... i dont have any extra money to play right now, and 2... i just looked up parts on ebay and saw what looke like a house dimmer switch that connects to your ecu to let you increas your spark or something... my point is .. thes chips theyre sellling connect to some order of wires... any ideas or experience would be great.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
I dont really know much about it but it seems that it would be much more complicated than that. The computer operates on variables of voltage and resistance. For the most part, it sends out reference voltage and then takes information back via return voltage and then computes it based on its parameters and what the chip in it is programmed for.

Doesn't seem feesable to recreate this by soldering wires and even if it was, it seems much more complicated than a DIY'er could accomplish.

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
The gains would be minimal even if you could figure all the wiring etc. Spend your money on things that matter like a free flowing exhaust etc. If you want the computer out of the loop get a carb and aftermarket high energy ignition.

The interactions of the computer controls are such that you will not figure it out with a voltmeter and a couple of pots, buying a chip would be an alternative but you need the engine mods to make use of the modified programming and richer mixture and timing adjustments. Learn the basics before you jump into reprogramming ECU's.

KISS.;) :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts