Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I mate a 305 Chevy to a manual Subaru transmission (of course I would need an adapter plate) but I’m worried about the spline pattern and have 5 reverse gear and only one drive gear.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Ok I am on board.

I hate playing with suburu engines. From oiling, to head gaskets, to just bad designs that make you want to kick a engineer.

That being said every V8 swap I have seen the entire drivetrain is replaced. Some rears can hold up. But most of the time that gets replaced also.

If your going to run a chevy engine run a chevy transmission. If you keep the stock rear then that may or may not hold up. Most things can break if you send 400 ftlbs into a diff rated for 300 kind of thing. But some things hold up to abuse better then others.

Kind of need to know what the year, make, model is to give any input if the rear is going to gernade or not.

For me a 150to 200k 5.3 left stock with Vats removed mated to a th400 turning a solid explorer ford 8.8 with 3.55 or 3.73 ratios could be done easily enough. No messing with adapters or such and if you wanted to make a bit more power you could easily. Other people have done the swap listed above. It is tight your going to do some trimming. But it can fit.

·
Administrator
9,988 Posts
Welcome to Hotrodders.... When you see a message box about waiting 4 seconds to post.. Ignore that. Re cliking to posts will cause multiple posts... There is a software glitch on the board. Sorry.

·
Old(s) Fart
5,914 Posts
If by "spline pattern" you mean the input shaft, that only impacts the clutch disc, not the engine. There are a lot of vendors who make custom clutch discs.
As far as I know, Subaru engines rotate in the same direction as do Chevy engines, so I don't understand your "five reverse speeds" issue.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Build thread of a LS one. He was running a turbo LS and just did to much to fast trying to get it perfect out the gate which can kill a build easily. The build made it 95% then he sold it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts