Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to drop a carb'd 305 into my originally TBI 87 chevy 1/2 ton. I am wondering if I can use my original distributor.

This is a remote coil distributor, and doesn't have any kind of vacuum advance. I assume that means that advance is controlled by the computer? Is it possible at all to reuse this, or do I need to get a new one.

If so, what sort would be recommended? I am on a budget.

I am putting a mid-eighties 305 with 416 heads and an aluminum factory intake, a rochester, and most likely headers in. It will not have any sort of smog equipment (the only accessories will be alternator and power steering pumps!)

I guess that the computer must base spark control on a variety of sensors, right? I suppose if it would work, I could put in an o2 sensor, and maybe even rig up the Throttle position sensor and what-not.

What all woudl be required to make the old dis work right, if it is possible, or should I just get a new one?

Chris

·
Bowtie or Die!
636 Posts
That distributor also send a signal to the ecm for injector pulse.via the purple and white wire. If your not usng any of the other ecm sensors like coolant temp or tps or map I would not use the tbi dist. I would just get a Hei out of an older non computer controlled car. You may get the Tbi dis to fire but it will most likely run like crap with poor or no timing advance etc...Also your 87 has an electric fuel pump whos power relay is also ecm controlled the tbi runs around 9 to 13 psi dont forget to put a regulator on the carb to get it down to 7psi, also going to need to wire that fuel pump relay to come on with the ign or do away with it all together and get a mech pump.U would have to mod the tank unit either way ita a can of worms

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I planned to just disconnect the in-tank pump and use a mechanical pump like my buddy did on his Astro.

I was kinda figuring I wouldn't be able to re-use my distrib, which kinda sucks 'cause I can't afford a new one. I'll have to see what I can score from friends and/or junk cars.

Is there any specific ones I should be looking for? Will any small block chevy distributor work on my motor?

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts