Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I am trying to detail the undercarriage/drivetrain of my 69 AMX. The motor is out and I'm interested in cleaning up the undercarriage. I am able to put the car up on a lift outside, and after powerwashing the frame and drivetrain I'm thinking of blasting it, but I don't want to rebuild the tranny or rearend. Is it safe to do this? I guess these things are subjected to dirt/dust/sand during their normal use so what's the issue? What if I used sodablast? Isn't this stuff water soluble? Can't I just wash it off?

Thanks for your help,
Mike

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
mike69 said:
Guys,

I am trying to detail the undercarriage/drivetrain of my 69 AMX. The motor is out and I'm interested in cleaning up the undercarriage. I am able to put the car up on a lift outside, and after powerwashing the frame and drivetrain I'm thinking of blasting it, but I don't want to rebuild the tranny or rearend. Is it safe to do this? I guess these things are subjected to dirt/dust/sand during their normal use so what's the issue? What if I used sodablast? Isn't this stuff water soluble? Can't I just wash it off?

Thanks for your help,
Mike
You could, Blasting can get past seals and vents tho'. You would need to be careful. The trans & rear have a vent tube on top. Seals can be eaten up quick also. If you rinse raw metal with water, it will instantly corrode, especially steel. Compressed air may be a better way to clean after blasting.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,859 Posts
If you're dealing with oily crud, consider getting it steam cleaned. A true steam cleaning, not a hot power scrub. Plug any vent tubes or access points.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.