Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to install my screw in galley plugs. Can I use this thread sealant? It's all I have in the shop right now. I'm a little concerned because it has a little "gritty" feel to it. It's not because its old because it was never used before I opened it today. See attached pic.

Thanks,
Mike

Hand Nail Finger Material property Drink

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I get it it’s probably not needed but do you think it could hurt anything? I’m asking because I used some and put it in and put the oil pan on and now I’m worried that with my luck I’ll drop the plug trying to take it out to clean this stuff off and will have to pull the pan off. What do you think?

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I have had several small block chevy builds with the front plugs tapped for pipe plugs and to my knowledge they have never had sealer on them and I never had an y problems because of no sealer on them. Oil pressure was always good and never any issues over 20 plus years on many builds.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m not really concerned about leaking. I’m slightly worried that this stuff could hurt the engine. My engine building guide states “coat the plugs with a Teflon based liquid sealant and tighten firmly”. I’ve used a different brand Teflon sealer that was silky smooth and doesn’t have the “gritty” texture that this stuff has, but I didn’t have it on hand for this build so I used the stuff above. I’m trying to balance the slight risk that this stuff will hurt the engine vs the hassle factor of dropping this thing into the pan. I was given this product by a friend who builds frequently and he says he always uses it. Is there any risk the above stuff could hurt the engine?

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Well my machine shop used ARP teflon lube on the front three plugs in my Dart SHP block and its all together except the timing cover being on and I left it as is and I don't think it should be a problem. Just me but my build is not cheap by any means compared to an average stock build and I left mine as is. If you did not put tons of it on the plugs I would not worry about it.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I wouldn't worry at all unless you gobbed it in there (you didn't). Incidentally that 'grit' you feel is small pieces of some sort of synthetic fiber "to create a tighter joint" If any comes off, it'll get in your filter during break-in and life will go on quite nicely. Its used in plumbing and we used it for hydraulic fittings on the farm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.