Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a question for those who have a better understanding of the mechanics involved. If old, loose fan belts are removed, replaced with new, and tightened to new specs, but the original aging timing belt is left in place, could the presence of the new belts increase the risk of the old timing belt failing? This timing belt is very old and I intend to replace it soon, but I am able to replace the fan belts now. Should I do this or should I continue to use the old belts and bring them to used tension specs until I am ready to replace the timing belt? Should I consider using the old belts at old tension specs?

·
Administrator
8,551 Posts
If new accesory belts have any effect on the old T belt, it would be minimal or negligable. A loose belt with some deflection would have a little effect if any. The flywheel or torque converter pretty much stabilize the rotational velocity of the crank, which means it will be kinder to an old T belt. Now, if you develop a missfire, and the motor is jumping around, I could see that stressing an old belt that may be ready to snap.
I would stockpile your parts and do the job in one shot . saved Labor time involved will be pretty sustantial.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks LATECH. I was suspecting that some other mechanism besides the belts is what stabilized the forces necessary to keep the T-belt healthy. I had never considered the possibility that new belts would be kinder to the T-belt but it appears to be in line with the general rule that any improvement to a system makes the rest of the system run better. I'd like to stockpile at this point but the car's been on blocks for seven months for other badly-needed repairs. I need to burn off the old gas and I need to ensure that my previous work is solid before I move into the T-belt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.