Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a complete rewire on a 57 Chev truck and the original 2 position on/off ignition switch has to go. Can someone suggest a donor vehicle for a GM ignition switch? I have one from a 78 GM van but it's got a pretty ugly trim ring. I'd rather grab one from a wrecker because it's close by and it'll only be about $5.

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
You could use a switch from a 62-63-64 Chevy full size.
Most of the chevy's before then did not have an accessory position in the switch (despite what is labled on the back of it)

This would also allow the use of the stereo/radio while parked, and not have the key in the 'ON' position

I used the 63-64 switch in my 59 just for that reason---also the switch/bezel/and lock cylinder are all available new.

Switch and cylinder can be purchased from NAPA
The bezel will have to come from a junker or Classic Industries ($12.00approx)

Bryan

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

Go to Auto Zombie or Kragens...

On the Electrical Isle, you will find this UNIVERSAL switch:

IIRC, Runs between $7 and $12 bucks...It will mount on any flat surface, and has all the functions of stock, Hot At all times, Run, ACC, and Start..

Well worth it to avoid the aggravation of reinventing the wheel.

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
282 Posts
I used a 53 olds switch in my 37 chevy p/u when I did away with the foot starter,it fit the dash like it was made for it and I took it with the original 37 key to the local locksmith and they made the 37 key work in the 53 switch. Jeff

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
murrsue said:
Picked up a universal one like docvette's picture. Didn't realize they were so inexpensive.

Doc here, :pimp:

Glad to hear it worked for you.. :thumbup:

Those are the Cheap, easy way, If you have a space to mount them.

Doc :pimp:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.