Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
why would you consider doing it? even if something as simple as compression change worked,what about the different cam timing and different fuel metering. Diesel engines are designed to work at 3000 rpms or lower,generally speaking

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
There are a lot of things that need to be considered. The whole fuel system will need to be changed, wiring harness, etc etc etc.

Reactions: fordss

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
There are a lot of things that need to be considered. The whole fuel system will need to be changed, wiring harness, etc etc etc.
x2

The most sensible thing to do would be a complete engine swap

... or better yet ...

jack up the radiator cap and drive a different truck under it.:thumbup:

Seriously, unless you're emotionally attached to this particular truck ... it's time to trade it in.

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
If you want a straight answer,then yes it can be done.You are dealing with an engine that burns diesel fuel.Gasoline is just another fuel.
True, Vinnie ... but you need a means of ignition when you are talking about using gasoline or propane as a motor fuel.

Diesel ignites because of the relatively very high compression, and does not require a spark to initiate combustion.

As I said to the OP earlier ... whare are you going to put this suggested HEI distributor? Does the cam have a drive gear on it? Is there a mounting hole for a distributor on a 6.2?

I suppose that you could employ a DIS-like system that uses a crankshaft or camshaft position sensor ... but that's a whole 'nuther level of complication when it comes to a 6.2 GM diesel.

The bottom line is that almost anything CAN be done. The question is (as I see it): "Does it make any sense to do it?"

YMMV :D

·
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought
829 Posts
You could use a crank driven distributor? I gotta think when you are all said and done, you'll have a small fortune in this compared to an engine swap.

But, it's all good from here in the peanut gallery. :welcome:

·
Registered
3 Posts
One of the things required for a diesel engine to operate is high compression to ignite the fuel charge as it uses no spark plugs. Running gasoline will require drastically reducing the compression by either shortening the stroke or replacing the heads with heads with a massive combustion chambers. Because of the high compression diesels usually have a stronger bottom end than a gasoline engine. It is possible to convert a diesel to gas, but I strongly doubt that it is worth the time and effort. Stay with the diesel and add massive turbochargers, propane injection and a good aftermarket chip and it will run with the big dogs.

·
Old(s) Fart
6,078 Posts
Oldsmobile diesels were regularly converted to gasoline. Mondello sold a kit for a while. Of course, Olds gas engine heads and intake were a bolt-on and the diesel block retained the distributor drive provision (there was a vacuum pump in the hole that also drove the oil pump) so it was an easy swap. Change the cam, add a distributor, flush the fuel system, and you're good to go.

A 6.2 is a dedicated diesel. There are no gasoline heads that fit and the diesel combustion chamber is unsuitable for gasoline. Can it be done? Sure, given enough time and money. Is it remotely worth it? Well, the result will be a heavy gasoline engine that was expensive to build, with crappy performance.

Again, if the engine is based on an existing gasoline engine, the conversion is relatively easy and inexpensive. Converting a dedicated diesel is not.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.