Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I just bought my first car and its an 81 Camaro with a 267 4.4L v8. I'm looking to put a new engine in it and i was wondering if its possible to put a Pontiac 400 cu in (6.6 l) v8 in a 81 Camaro and if it will fit how hard is it to put it into the Camaro.

·
Administrator
18,522 Posts
Welcome....Yes, they use the same frame as a Firebird. You will need the Pontiac mounts etc. You will need the Pontiac transmission too.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Buick, olds, pontiac, and cadilliac engines are expensive to build. You will be able to make more power with less money using a 454.

If you leave them stock and get them cheap enough dropping a buick, olds, pontiac, cadilliac engine in place of a chevy can be a cheap way to get a nice boost in torque. But generally once you get outside of stock stuff gets expensive fast..

You can bolt many buick, olds, pontiac, cadilliac blocks up to several TH400's using a adapter plate.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hello everyone I just bought my first car and its an 81 Camaro with a 267 4.4L v8. I'm looking to put a new engine in it and i was wondering if its possible to put a Pontiac 400 cu in (6.6 l) v8 in a 81 Camaro and if it will fit how hard is it to put it into the Camaro.
You can, but it will be costly. you will need a bunch of part from a pontiac v8 350/400/455 firebird .
mounts, fan shroud, transmission, etc.
It will be a lot easier to put a chevy 350 in it. as all the parts on your 267 fit the 350, the brackets that hold the power steering pump and pump, the alt brackets, a/c brackets, p/s hoes, ac hoses, etc.the pulleys, the fan shroud and fan, the exhaust, the transmission, the wiring.
For a first car. unless you have a junkyard with a firebird /ta with all the pontiac v8 parts to swap over. if will be a challenge .
Good luck.

·
Registered
14,023 Posts
A Chevy build is the simplest, lowest cost and biggest bang for the buck. Essentially the Gen I SBC is a bolt in including all accessories and fuel supply. The Pontiac while using factory mounting parts is a major revision for the supporting accessories including the transmission which would require an adapter or replacement with a BOP version.

The Pontiac combustion chamber is a weak and poor burner without a lot of compression which today’s fuels will not support. The Poncho 400 uses a cast connecting rod well known for performance and age related fatigue failures. Problem with rod failures is you kiss the rest of the investment goodby as well. The problems of such a swap just aren’t worth it.

Bogie

·
Registered
434 Posts
If you already have a Pontiac 400 (otherwise why would you be asking this question), sell it to someone with a Pontiac, and get a Chevy motor. You can get reman long blocks pretty cheap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts