Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Chasing dreams with a ball bat
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

A quick silly question. . . :confused:

From what I know, when you dissassemble a motor, you must put in all new bearings. The question is : Do you really have to, if the motor has only a few thousand street miles on it and they look good??

One guy told me after the bearings crush when they are installed they can't be reinstalled again. It seems to me there would be a little elastic deformation present, so you would still get some crush using old bearings.

Anyone????

·
Lost in the 60's
15,292 Posts
You could use them again....but....they would have to be placed in the exact postion that they were originally installed in. On the same rod and on the same rod position on the crank also same bearing half on the rod, same bearing half on the cap etc. So you could do it, if everything is in the same position, but no more than bearings cost....why take a chance?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Done this on a lot of DD engines. What Henry said is gospel, cast in stone and irrefutable. A side note is If the bearing has any damage of any type, replace it. Don't need to replace the whole set, just the damaged one. On startup treat the motor just like you would a whole fresh buildup. :)

·
Chasing dreams with a ball bat
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Henry Highrise said:
You could use them again....but....they would have to be placed in the exact postion that they were originally installed in. On the same rod and on the same rod position on the crank also same bearing half on the rod, same bearing half on the cap etc. So you could do it, if everything is in the same position, but no more than bearings cost....why take a chance?
I have to use the Clevite H bearings which are a bit more expensive than the ol regulars since I have big radius on my crank (scat forged). I think it's around $100 just for bearings.

Was thinking of replacing pistons ( reverse dome for flat top) to fix a mistake I made when I built my motor. Pistons are $450. An extra hundred hurts a little more.

Just my cheap nature I guess. . . .

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
hotrodf1 said:
I have to use the Clevite H bearings which are a bit more expensive than the ol regulars since I have big radius on my crank (scat forged). I think it's around $100 just for bearings.

Was thinking of replacing pistons ( reverse dome for flat top) to fix a mistake I made when I built my motor. Pistons are $450. An extra hundred hurts a little more.

Just my cheap nature I guess. . . .
You have received very good advice (IMO- for what it is worth). As long as they are good and crush correctly, there is no reason to can them.

·
Banned
211 Posts
Would you chance a $100 part to your $400 crankshaft and $300 rods? In one hand you have $100 bearings and in the other hand you have $700 worth of crank and rods. It would take me 5 seconds to decide to buy new bearings. They would be going in a numbered box after inspection for future comparison if the engine ever got torn down again.

·
Registered
62 Posts
QuenchPiston said:
Would you chance a $100 part to your $400 crankshaft and $300 rods? In one hand you have $100 bearings and in the other hand you have $700 worth of crank and rods. It would take me 5 seconds to decide to buy new bearings. They would be going in a numbered box after inspection for future comparison if the engine ever got torn down again.
That is the truth. Just the time involved makes 100 $ bearings cheap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.