Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone im new to the site but i have one specific question.
Can I rebuild a taken apart engine with parts (lifters, heads,rockers, camshaft ETC ETC) that have been sitting in a unheated unsealed building for several years? there is rust on everything, is it still usable?
Thanks

·
Registered
663 Posts
quite likley

get a large container ,fill with water,3parts watter 1 part molasis. have in a warmish aria. soake parts in the solution for at least 1 week,then wash with watter hose and dry off. its amazing how the rust will disapear. i buy the mokasis from a farm feed store. its cheap ther. crank will need a grind,block a rebore . with every thing de rusted then decide if worth continuing. cliff

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
get a large container ,fill with water,3parts watter 1 part molasis. have in a warmish aria. soake parts in the solution for at least 1 week,then wash with watter hose and dry off. its amazing how the rust will disapear. i buy the mokasis from a farm feed store. its cheap ther. crank will need a grind,block a rebore . with every thing de rusted then decide if worth continuing. cliff
Once that is done take the whole mess to your machinist and see how much is fixable and what it would take..

Sam

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I've been using citric acid to dissolve rust on steel surfaces. It will eat aluminum. I use 1 pound to 5 or 6 gallons of water. I have a smaller batch going now, maybe 2 gallons in an empty plastic Tidy Cat container. It will eat light rust in a day, heavier deposits 3-4 days. I rinse and dip them in a solution of water and baking soda to neutralize any remaining acid.

I've seen the molasses process, the parts come out like new, but it takes weeks.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
A lot depends on what kind of rust you are talking about. An untreated block will develop rust in a matter of hours but that rust can usually be literally washed away. if anything is pitted, toss it for sure.
As someone else mentioned, bring it to a shop and have them look at it.
I would not even mess around with lifters and rockers, they are cheap and replacements are readily available.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
the molasses process requires agricultural molasses. If you heat the mixture while the parts are soaking; it works faster

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
It doesn't matter if you get every little bit of rust off of the lifters and cam. If they weren't put away as pairs then they are junk. The crank may be saved if not rust pitted to the point a gring and polish wouldn't clean it up. Usually heads are so gunked up they could possibly be redone. Lets not get off course and start a tutorial about rust removal.....that wasn't his question.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts