Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to reduce it so it flows better? I notice if my first coat is a little rough the clear just builds on that 1st layer texture. If it was a little thinner it would flow smoother for less orange peel. Or how do the pros spray the clear so that it has minimal peel like a factory car? Thanks!

·
SPI Thug
3,274 Posts
urethanes don't flow. you have to shoot for effect. you have to shoot it slick for it to be slick. adjust your gun.

·
SPI Thug
3,274 Posts
first if your using a cheap gun all the adjusting in the world wont help.
set the gun up, 3/4 fan, 2.5 to 3 turns out on fluid, air wide open at the wall, set air to mfg recommendations. if you get orange peel you have too much fluid, if you get runs not enough air pressure . simple as that .

·
Registered
85 Posts
One mistake I was making that everyone helped me with is trying to "flow" the clear. I am using PPG and the tech sheet says 1.3 - 1.6 tip. I was using a 1.5 and trying to put in on thick. No matter what I did to adjust I could not get it to go on smooth. Then I totally analyzed everything people were saying including Brians article about solvents. I switched to a 1.3 tip and laid it on wet, but not too thick. Came out almost as smooth as glass.

Listen to Shine. He knows. Spray smooth... don't try to get it to "flow".

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Don't be afraid to use thinner in clear, I usually do. Clear lays out very nice and I don't have to cut/buff unless there's dirt in finish. You have to play with it to see what works best for YOU.

·
SPI Thug
3,274 Posts
keep in mind reducing clear creates solvent pop . i only use 95 and only when it is 100+ even then i use very little. vince is right on 2-5% .

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
All good points....have you tried slowing down the drying time with a slower hardner? There are a lot of variables.but for a new guy the most popular mistake made is useing a cheapo paint gun,even pros have trouble with them,so save yourselves some grief and spend your hard earned cash on a good quality gun (minimum 200.00) because a good gun will make cheap paint look good but a cheap gun cant even make good paint look good.especially if the knobs fall of into your fresh paint.(its happend to me) LOL.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
shine said:
keep in mind reducing clear creates solvent pop . i only use 95 and only when it is 100+ even then i use very little. vince is right on 2-5% .
Yep Shine and I allowed extra flash time between coats also. I was using 95.

Vince

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.